Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sense turning

discomark10

Sep 18, 2013
Hi guys,
is there a component which will give say.. a resistance increase when the device is spun at a certain speed.
A bit like a trigger wheel with a hall sensor, but rather than a high/low output from sensing the teeth of the trigger wheel... a resistance at a certain speed.

The reason I don't want to go for a trigger wheel is the size for one and also the delay between teeth.

Cheers

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If there were, it would be pretty expensive.
What you need to do, is use a tach, married to a circuit built to do what you want it
to do.
A little more specific information might help put you on the best path to persue this.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
my only thought would be to use something liek shrtrnd said OR try and rig something like a small speedometer which is cable driven but instead of driving the indicator hook that up to a potentiometer, but that would be pretty big.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
use a hall sensor connect it to an LED then use a photo resistor, in effect its like pwming it but with a photoresistor. hope that helps

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Why don't you describe your whole project from start to finish. There may be a way to make it work, but that way may not be the way you imagine.

Give us a thorough descripiton of what you want to achieve, including, but definitely not limited to, telling us about the rotating device that you want to monitor, and what you want to happen when a particular speed is reached.

discomark10

Sep 18, 2013
basically I want to make a better traction control for off-roading.
I want to control say a liner actuator or something alone those lines from a wheel rotation speed difference.
Kris you may have just inadvertently given me the solution, its 5:30 am and I misread your post for a second.
A simple motor/dynamo gives a voltage when turned, I could possibly use that.
I wonder how accurate the output from it would be, one of the problems with existing traction control is that it takes quite a while to kick in and also is rather jerky, which is also not a desired trait.