Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sensor to detect force from an angle

John2011a

Nov 12, 2017
Hi All,

I am a new member so apologies if this is a basic questions.
I am working on a project to detect force impact from a direction that is downward to also from an angle (image attached).

I have tried creating a pressure sensor and using a FSR but still the direction of the impact force is failing to trigger the sensor.
I am using a Piezo to detect the force with some Capacitors to keep the signal going after the impact.

Appreciate any help or ideas for other sensor types I should be using. I am just 6 months into electronics but have a computing background. Thanks.

Attachments

• Force image.png
    Force image.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 87

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
Or maybe the problem could be solved by two weight censors:

Attachments

• electronicpoints_Forceimage.svg.png
    electronicpoints_Forceimage.svg.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 86

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
Well - yess. I didn't get the impression that the target was supposed to move - or if it was supposed that the target may hit at different location every time.

And then it depends in the censor it self. I'm not very into censors, but at least you need to know how it performs when the force has an odd angle. So if the censor does only detect downward force, the absolute force must be calculated:
electronicpoints_Forceimage2.svg.png

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The only other way would be to measure the forward momentum of the object (speed) as the instant it hit the sensor.