Maker Pro
Maker Pro

sensor to measure angular motion of hand

ketanrd01

Aug 11, 2014
which sensor do i use for measuring angular motion of hand?

like i am making a robotic arm controlled by a controller, n i am using flex sensors for fingers and accelerometer for arm.
i need to know what can be possibly used for measuring movement of wrist

Last edited:

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
question becomes what are you measuring? hand tilt or rotation?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Then a rotary encoder is the sensor you need.

Bob

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Are you talking about sensors to be connected to a human arm or a robotic arm equivalent?

Gyroscopes are handy as they can be moved along any axis, or multiple axis at a time and will return the current angle of the device. Accelerometers can be great for initial calibration or preventing gyroscope drift, but due to how they work, they may report an incorrect orientation if the object is accelerating along the XYZ axis even if it is not rotating. This can be compensated for in software, but get ready to break-out some math skills.

If you are using these sensors on a model or robot arm, the above mentioned rotary encoder is ideal.
(It could be used on your arm as well... but you would need to wear an apparatus like forest gump used on his legs ;))

Last edited:

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I was thinking of using flex sensor diagonally. But yyou need an anchor point like you elbow

ketanrd01

Aug 11, 2014
Are you talking about sensors to be connected to a human arm or a robotic arm equivalent?

Gyroscopes are handy as they can be moved along any axis, or multiple axis at a time and will return the current angle of the device. Accelerometers can be great for initial calibration or preventing gyroscope drift, but due to how they work, they may report an incorrect orientation if the object is accelerating along the XYZ axis even if it is not rotating. This can be compensated for in software, but get ready to break-out some math skills.

If you are using these sensors on a model or robot arm, the above mentioned rotary encoder is ideal.
(It could be used on your arm as well... but you would need to wear an apparatus like forest gump used on his legs ;))
Thanks Gryd3