Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Servo Motor Controler help.

spoons

Nov 8, 2010
Hi,
here goes,
I would like to replace an existing Hydraulic chute on a commercial snow blower to 12v servo motor or linear actuator power controlled by a joystick. There are only x and y axis and no programming would be required ( unless I can come up with a really cool way to incorporate it ).

I've tried to do a search on 12v servo motor controllers but found only light duty or weather sensitive types. I'm not sure if that would make a difference? if I was able to power the motors directly the controller should just act as a switch or potentiometer independent from the main power source?

I haven't sourced the motors yet but I would imagine they wouldn't be under 20 Amps. as for the joystick I don't see that being a problem, there many to choose from.

If anyone knows of an existing setup that could serve my needs or maybe a simple schematic to make my own controller or any other tips or advice would be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Will.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I don't see a servo necessary for that application, it most likely would be position controlled visually, I would guess.
Auto wreckers are a source of 12vdc motors, for controllers there are $5.00-$10.00 PWM types, the only thing to add would be a reversing relay.
M.

spoons

Nov 8, 2010
Thank you Minder, I'll do some research on PWM controllers.

As far as speed of the motor, meaning, the further or faster you move the joy stick the motor will respond accordingly. Would this be a controller or joystick application?
This is what originally made me think a servo would be needed.

If I could use a starter motor from a four cylinder engine that would be awesome! and more than enough torque .

Will.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The joystick would need to be the pot kind rather than the on/off sw type.
Beware of starter motors, some are series motors and not suitable, if P.M., then maybe OK.
Another source with gearbox is a bumper winch type.
M..