Maker Pro
Maker Pro

setting up a workstation at home

Ziku

Feb 12, 2011
Hi All,

Noob to the forums. I was hoping I could get some pointers on how to set up a workstation at home.

Firstly I was wondering if it's possible to hook up my breadboard to my pc (linux and windows) so that I can run some sort of "oscilloscope" type software to analyze input/output waveforms of the circuits I build on the breadboard. If this is possible, what would be the best approach, hardware and software wise?

I will also need to supply power to the breadboard (just from mains - wall socket). This could probably cause some damage to my pc if input voltages rise above a certain level, so I would like to hear your opinions on that as well. I was thinking of using +-12 V or +-15V for most of the amplifier projects... Is this dangerous to the PC? I'd appreciate your insights.

Alternatively if its not possible to hook up the breadboard directly to my pc I was thinking I might try and get some cash together to buy an oscilloscope, power supply, soldering kit and function generator. Is there an "all in one" device that includes the oscilloscope, supply and function generator funtions? If there is and you can point me in the direction to look, that would also be appreciated.

In short, I just need to set up a workstation at home. Nothing too fancy but also something that has all the requisite functions. Do advise please.

Thanks for your insights and appreciate the advice.

Regards,

Ziku