Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Seven Star AC - DC adapter help.

Tighurs

Mar 31, 2016
Hello all, glad to know that there is a site that is still dedicated to helping with electronics! Anywho, I have recently just purchased a Seven Star AC - DC adapter for my PVR that my friend gave to me. He didn't inform me he lost the power cord so I just went ahead and bought this. Now when I moved the dial to 6V (the PVR's specifications are 6V 1.6aa) and it will not start up. There are other dials on here that I have no clue how they work, such as a Polarity Selector, and AC220V / AC110V selector. Does anyone know what could be going on here? The Polarity Selector is on the Positive dial, and I have AC220V selected as both are factory default. Only thing I changed was to 6V. Anyone out there that can help?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hello all, glad to know that there is a site that is still dedicated to helping with electronics! Anywho, I have recently just purchased a Seven Star AC - DC adapter for my PVR that my friend gave to me. He didn't inform me he lost the power cord so I just went ahead and bought this. Now when I moved the dial to 6V (the PVR's specifications are 6V 1.6aa) and it will not start up. There are other dials on here that I have no clue how they work, such as a Polarity Selector, and AC220V / AC110V selector. Does anyone know what could be going on here? The Polarity Selector is on the Positive dial, and I have AC220V selected as both are factory default. Only thing I changed was to 6V. Anyone out there that can help?
Haha. Well, that was risky.
The AC220V / AC110V is the input selector, and having it incorrectly set could either result in damage to the adaptor or damage to the device you connected it to! Luckily, you are using this device on 110V, so accidentally setting or leaving it on 220V will hopefully just give you a lower than expected output.
Polarity is INCREDIBLY important though... if the PVR has no protection against reverse polarity, you can cause immediate damage to it, even at lower voltages.
Are any of these on the PVR?
tAAzk.gif

Finally... the adaptor you have should have two rating... a voltage and a current... usually given in A or mA
It appears like to you need at *least* 1.6A or 1600mA on the adaptor in order to supply enough current to the PVR.

Check those first, then double check the voltage is set to 6V and try again ^^

Tighurs

Mar 31, 2016
Finally... the adaptor you have should have two rating... a voltage and a current... usually given in A or mA
It appears like to you need at *least* 1.6A or 1600mA on the adaptor in order to supply enough current to the PVR.

Well that seems to be my TIFU haha! It is only a 500MA Adapter, well thank you for this knowledge I will be sure to return it immediately!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Well that seems to be my TIFU haha! It is only a 500MA Adapter, well thank you for this knowledge I will be sure to return it immediately!
Sounds good.
FYI, the rating in mA or A needs to be the same or higher than required, but be careful with older or cheaper supplies! They may not have internal voltage regulation, so the voltage may drift a lot if they are not used close to their designed spec... IE, don't use a 5A or 5000mA adaptor here just in case, but a well designed adaptor with this rating would still operate is perfectly.