Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Shaky Image Samsung QLED 55" TV

Robert2022

Jun 20, 2021
Recently the image on the TV starts to jiggle for 2 seconds with a slight color fade and then resets to a very good picture. This repeats over and over every few seconds. It is definitely internal to the TV because the problem occurs using different sources (DVD, Roku, Cable). I unplugged the power to the TV and let it stay off for 15 minutes. The image was fine when I turned the TV back on, but after about 5 minutes the problem came back. I then disconnected the power and all connections to the TV overnight. In the morning I reconnected everything and turned the TV on. Again the image was excellent and stayed that way for about 3 hours. Then the problem came back. The TV is 4 yrs old. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Usually dried out or bulging electrolytic capacitors possibly in the power supply.
Do you have any test equipment and are familiar with electronics especially since there are mains voltages inside..?

Robert2022

Jun 20, 2021
Usually dried out or bulging electrolytic capacitors possibly in the power supply.
Do you have any test equipment and are familiar with electronics especially since there are mains voltages inside..?

I have a Fluke multimeter. However I think it would be easiest to open up the TV, inspect the PS board for blown caps and then just replace the board.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
However I think it would be easiest to open up the TV, inspect the PS board for blown caps and then just replace the board

Thing is, caps don't necessarily have to show physical signs to be faulty, it is one characteristic but not all.

Robert2022

Jun 20, 2021
Thing is, caps don't necessarily have to show physical signs to be faulty, it is one characteristic but not all.

Thanks for the help so far. I ordered a new power supply for $48. I will let you know how it goes.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Given that it takes a while to warm up before this happens, I'd suspect a bad solder joint before a bad capacitor(s). Maybe it's on the PSU and buying a new PSU solves it.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
What brand of TV. Some are more prone to bad caps than others.
As a rule of thumb the cheaper TVs use lower quality caps and 4 years is about the time before they leak and pack up - luckily this can normally be seen as a yellowish/brownish discharge on top of the cap or against the pcb.