Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sharp microwave oven does not start

Peterpies

Feb 12, 2020
Please excuse my efforts if they are not formed correctly, I have a sharp easy chef r-5a53 if has just started failing. When I set cook time, power required = high, and then press start the light comes on, the fan attempts to spin, the turntable attempts to turn it then immediately stops and the display resets and returns to status of ie. restart. The turntable motor works fine, the fan works and tests fine any help would be appreciated.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Microwave ovens are not the sort of device for amateurs to be playing with.
Not only the high voltages but also the risks from the micro waves should you happen to accidentally get something to work with the case open.
Cost of replacement magnetron alone would be over Aus$70.00 so in most instances not worth the effort either.

Peterpies

Feb 12, 2020
Blue jets, thank you for your prompt reply, I was merely looking for advice on the simple troubleshooting methods to locate the problem. I do not intend to expose the magnetron or any other item of danger as I am aware of the 4000 volts present at operational time. If there is something I can diagnose without power application then all well and good. I would appreciate your views, if you are experienced and have knowledge of this type of problems. Thanks in advance

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I am and my advice to you is not to play with it. Take to an authorised repairer or simply buy a new one.

Peterpies

Feb 12, 2020
Bluejets, just a quick update with some more than average news. Today I fixed the microwave, it turned out it was a capacitor on the control board supporting the RY1 relays. All now seems to work fine having tested it on a number of occasions. Paying heed to your warnings I performed all diagnosis with the primary feed to the main transformer removed, hence no HT. thank you once again for all your help it was appreciated

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Bluejets, just a quick update with some more than average news. Today I fixed the microwave, it turned out it was a capacitor on the control board supporting the RY1 relays. All now seems to work fine having tested it on a number of occasions. Paying heed to your warnings I performed all diagnosis with the primary feed to the main transformer removed, hence no HT. thank you once again for all your help it was appreciated

Good one.
I imagine you did some basic leakage tests afterwards also..??
Glow in the dark family members not included as such.