Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SHARP WQ-T36OE and WF-T380 STEREO RADIO CASSETTE RECORDER

Big_Bad_John

Feb 4, 2021
Is anyone living in or near Bury St Edmunds who could fix the minor problems these machines have, both have the problem with the tape function switch in that it doesn't trip over when the first tape finishes to play the second tape, i.e., continuous play doesn't work, also on the WQ-T360E the auto-stop doesn't work on either deck. Apart from these problems both machines are fine.

Fixer_test

Feb 4, 2024
I suspect but no harm in asking. I have WQ-T352E double cassete player with the same issue. Looking for any hints or suggestions where to look. For the life of me I can't find how the autostop is triggered.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I have WQ-T352E double cassete player with the same issue
The provided link below contains the service manual and everything you need to know.
But if you get stuck. Don't hesitate to ask.
For the life of me I can't find how the autostop is triggered
In general the automatic stop can be triggered
A number of ways (This is only an truncated synopsis) electronically using sensors that will detect the physical movement of the tape in motion and or lack of motion, optical or hall effect, electromagnetic most commonly tied with the tape rotational counter and of course mechanically incorporating but not limited to capstan, pinch roller, supply reel, take up reel
Fly wheels and physical levers with associated pins. Tension,pressure, inertia, various cogs and sprockets working in unison, obviously under normal conditions so your tape doesn't get stretched preventing high frequency response degradation, play back, record , wow & flutter.

Fixer_test

Feb 4, 2024
Thanks for the suggestions.
It looks like a mechanical autostop likely to be engaged through the take-up reel.
I managed to find a service manual for the player here: https://elektrotanya.com/sharp_wq-t352h_sch.pdf/download.html. There is something called Cam, AutoStop hidden beneath the flywheel. Will try to get there tomorrow to check if anything is broken and try to figure out how it is triggered.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
The tightening of the tape presses the Auto stop lever against the PIN of the flywheel and triggers the operation plate
to slide over with the help of the flywheels inertia to release the (PLAY) push button.... the same reaction would apply if you would have pressed the (RECORD) push button.
Automatically turning off the tape player deck.

Fixer_test

Feb 4, 2024
The tightening of the tape presses the Auto stop lever against the PIN of the flywheel and triggers the operation plate
to slide over with the help of the flywheels inertia to release the (PLAY) push button.... the same reaction would apply if you would have pressed the (RECORD) push button.
Automatically turning off the tape player deck.
Exactly as you described.
I have removed the flywheel. The autostop cog stuck with the old lubricant. Cleaned, greased and now everything works as it should.
Thank you for the help and prompt responses.