Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Short circuit during battery installation on iPhone 6s

Zacharylow

Nov 11, 2018
i used metal tweezers to remove the battery in my iPhone and it caught fire for a moment.
I think it was the board and not the battery that caught so it is unlikely that the new battery will help.
Is there any harm that could be done by trying?

Also what are the conditions and guidelines in general for when it is okay to use what materials on electronics repairs and when is grounding necessary?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You are saying that the phone itself caught on fire, or a battery protection board that was attached to the battery and is removed with it as a unit?

Was the phone working properly and just too short a battery life or was there a sign of a problem before the swap?

If the phone caught on fire there's little point in trying a new battery. If the battery did and the phone is unharmed, sure go ahead and try a new battery but if there is a problem with the phone, I would have a metal container handy to toss the phone in, in case it catches on fire again.

Not knowing the specifics, it might not be worth the risk. I just don't know if there was a problem already which caused the fire or the battery swap attempt caused damage to only the battery or its protection board that might get replaced with the battery.

I don't understand your question about conditions and guidelines for when it is okay to use what materials. Can you elaborate? Generally something as complex as a phone, manufactured using water soluble flux, should not be allowed to get wet, but contact cleaner might be needed for some repairs, yet on a phone, it could wash debris onto the screen.

If you're using metal tools you'd want to be careful not to short out any circuitry.

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
This should give you a fair idea of what could be involved with fixing the phone. Ignore the first bit where he tries out a tester