Maker Pro

Should wire be Twisted before Crimping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
With reference to this post:

Here

I was taught that wire should not be twisted before crimping. Was I taught wrongly?

Also a ferrule seems like the wrong thing to use on a screw terminal to me.

(and the OP lives in US, but seems to have been given UK advice)

Sorry if this sounds like trolling, it isn't meant to be. I decided to start a new thread rather than cause confusion to OP on original thread.

Just curious, as the advice given seems at odds with things I have been doing for years.

What do others think please?

Many thanks, Robin

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Maybe I was wrong. Based on my experience, crimping grips the wire a lot better when it's twisted. That' my rationale. Do you know the rationale for why they shouldn't be twisted?

I'd like to hear others' opinions too.

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
Do you know the rationale for why they shouldn't be twisted?
No, but I always assumed that twisting allows the possibility of the finished item becoming partially or fully untwisted, which would reduce the wire diameter and weaken the crimp.

Untwisting would also lengthen the bare portion of wire, possibly leaving exposed wire in some circumstances?

But these are just assumptions made up by me. I have no definitive reference to support any of it.

I do trust the guy who told me not to twist, but sadly he did not explain why it was so important, and I did not think to ask.

I must admit that I sometimes give a very light twist just to get the strands to stay bundled so that all strands go into the ferrule/terminal.

Presumably the type of crimp tool used might have some bearing, but presumably not twisting would be acceptable in all circumstances.

And twisting somehow just "feels right", and is the first instinct if not trained to resist it.

Update: Googling has not given me any definite answer, and manufacturers' instructions seem to vary, but the impression I am left with is that a light twist (such as the twist the wire comes with) is a good thing, but over-twist is a bad thing. Luckily I am only a hobby builder now, so it is of trivial concern for me. When I used to crimp wires as part of my job, it would have been more important.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36829

Jan 1, 1970
Interesting question. When I was an apprentice one of my instructors was an ex-Navy EE (who had been one of their examiners/certifiers), and he insisted that:
  1. untwisted wires should never be twisted before crimping, or at the very most only have the end twisted for insertion into the crimp;
  2. twisted wires should only be lightly twisted (in the same direction as, and only enough to restore, their original twist) before crimping; and
  3. when crimping multiple wires in a terminal, they should not be twisted together (and any tensile testing for certification should be performed only on the smallest wire)
The reason given was that crimps are designed to crimp down to a certain circular area (the area occupied by the bare wire; not the same as the cross-sectional area), and twisting the wire slightly increases that area - leading to over-crimping crushing & damaging the conductors & weakening the joint.

As I recall it was covered in the BPO/APO/Telecom training materials, but I can't point to anything definite to back it up. It does however support hexreader's info.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
and the OP lives in US, but seems to have been given UK advice)

not so much UK, but a large part of the rest of the world.
I'm in Australia, (New Zealand and many other countries also use that colour code)
and it was just natural for me to select that pic from google

I never saw his location when I initially posted the cable colour info
apart from the fact that the flag shown can often be incorrect.
It was only this morning I confirmed his IP location in eastern USA

Ohhh and with ferrules ....
only keep strands twisted if they already were, else leave them straight before crimping is what I was taught

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
My company has thousands of looms manufactured each year and we do not specify to twist the wires. For the reasons already pointed out, we were told the machine crimps to a certain depth and twisting could loosen the wire overtime.
Thanks
Adam

Crimp1.PNG

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
I don't twist wires in the uninsulated crimps like the one shown above.

I twist the wires in insulated automotive terminals, and give each one a good pull to make sure the wire is securely held.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I agree to not twist. Lugs are designed for a certain wire gage or diameter.
For smaller wire, I sometimes double the wire back(fold) and use a larger lug.

Read the packaging of your lugs, It will tell you the wire it was designed for.

EZwA

Jun 2, 2023
some1 erased my comment, pretty dumb. Anyway, I had a slightly bigger diametered 14-16 connector(napa).. punched flat center triangled devider.. with a long small flat peice of steel I found.. DID twist both wires, fed them both all way through & therefore did double crimp them both. as I’ve said, measurements on these things are as obscure as the weather(as in, no one knows quite where wire will adapt to crimp shape, or what’s its shape will be, &/ or diameter - weather straight or not, etc.) what I did do worked pretty dRn well thO.
ps those partiqular Napa connectors had shorter rubber extensions, which didn’t heat shrink anyway. agN as usual, preeetyy duummn.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
some1 erased my comment, pretty dumb.

because you were responding to an 8 year old thread ;) something called necroposting :)

Thanks for your input

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.