Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple AC transformer question

DiodeDave

Dec 7, 2011
I have been using 12v 3a Radio Shack transformers and have recently found they are overloaded.

So I'm looking for a good source for some with 100 watt (or so) output at a reasonable price.

I've found low voltage landscape transformers, but they have timers. I don't want to pay for a case and a timer.

There are some low voltage Halogen transformers on the market.

Is there any reason they would not work?

It will be used to power 12v lights and possibly an electro magnet or two.

Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Dave

maybe an idea for you to elaborate a bit :)

these transformers.... are they just bare transformers you are referring to or part of a power supply ?
AC in DC out ? or just AC to AC ?

many people just say I have this "transformer" when they really mean to say plugpack etc

cheers
Dave

DiodeDave

Dec 7, 2011
I have bare transformers 110v AC to 12v AC.

They are used to provide power for lights and accessories on a train layout.

They are not part of anything other than my AC wiring for the layout.

Most of the Lionel hobbyists use the aux output on the train controller.

In my case, I had too many accessories and was overloading the controller.

None of the accessories have anything other than lights, motors and electromagnetic coils.

Thanks

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I know where you can find a 12VAC transformer that is plenty big enough for what you need. Old battery chargers, Even the smaller ones will put out 10A. Some of the big guys will be capable of 50A.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Dave,
Halogen transformers work fine as long as you use real transformers. But the're not inexpensive.
Do not use "electronic transformers" that are in fact unregulated Switch mode power supplies. While they work well with halogen lamps, they may work unreliable or not work at alll with other loads. Also, these "transformers" mostly need a minimum load to start operating. And the output is not as clean 50 Hz (in your case probably 60 Hz) voltage but has lots of high frequency content which may interfere with the operation of other equipment in your application.

Harald