Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple Analog Delay Circuit

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
Hi again!

So I need -- well, want -- to create a simple (relatively) analog delay circuit. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. Controls ill be simple: just a slider pot to control the delay time. No other controls are necessary as it will have the same volume as the input signal and will only repeat once.

I've seen several delay circuits online (mainly as delay pedals), but they are either digital or don't have delay times that I would like (up to 1 second, more or less), and all of them have excess controls, thus making them rather complex.

I know digital would be easy, except that I can't program worth a crap. I can't buy a delay pedal or other unit because for this exact project that's simply not cost effective.

Any ideas?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
One option is to have a delay loop (like a tape recorder with separate record and playback heads.

You can either alter the spacing between them and/or change the tape speed to change the delay.

Surprisingly enough, this actually has a lot in common with the digital approach.

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
You might want to consider a PT2399 (Princeton Technologies). It uses minimal external components, has 2 controls and by tweaking the pot values you might get up to 1 second delay. They make other models but I am familiar with this one.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I can't buy a delay pedal or other unit because for this exact project that's simply not cost effective.

Any ideas?

What do you consider cost effective? You can purchase a cheap digital delay pedal for about $25, what do you expect it will cost to design, develop and build your own analog one?

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Yeah, it's a brave new world. At one time home brew was nearly always cheaper. Not so today.

Chris

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
Sorry, little late in the replies :)

Steve, that approach would work, but I need something somewhat compact and easy to reset. I don't want a Mellotron here :)

Alfa, the PT2399 seems like an awesome choice. I'll look into it further, but it looks like that is the best option.

CocaCola, the thing is 1) that has a ton of stuff I don't need like modes and a separate output, and 2) as a guitarist having tried that pedal, it's not a good pedal in ways of tone and noise, not to mention ease of use (not important in this case, but still). Since when did Walmart sell pedals? haha

CD, I agree!

What I'm trying to do is essentially have 5 delay pedals in one, each having just time controls. Buying even that cheap Behringer would be $125 for something I wouldn't use most of. On the other hand, the PT2399 is cheap and, from what I can find, sounds decent. It can also have long delays :)