Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple on/off IR remote control

CraigH

Feb 6, 2012
I am hoping to build a simple on/off IR remote control switch for my LG 42W550T television. I understand the basics of the project in that I will need a battery connected to a switch that will turn the infrared LED on and off. I have read that all TVs work on similar frequencies and that it is a kind of digital coding laced into the IR frequency that specifies which appliance the remote works with. It is this digital coding that I am confused about and I am interested in how it will affect the project. Does anyone know a lot about remotes and can they offer any ideas on design for this project? This is still just a rough idea and I would love to hear advice on how I should proceed with this project.

Thank you

CraigH

Feb 6, 2012
TV remote controls

I am interested in finding out as much information about IR remote controls as possible. I'm working on a project involving building a remote control for a TV and I don't really understand the digital codes involved in remote controls, can anyone explain how I would make an infra-red LED interact with a specific TV? Or all TVs if that is easier?

Thank you.