Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple question? grouding starter relay using transistor?

short4stuff

Feb 15, 2015
I am having car starting issues. The ecm controls the ground to the starter relay. It seems the switching ground has high resistance during crank. (which causes the relay to cycle on and off quickly = no crank)

I'll leave this schematic. On the bottom is the ecm and the ground side control. The resistance is very high. I can power up a 3.8w watt bulb (about 6 ohms of resistance) if I try and power anything larger it won't.

Maybe a transistor is not the solution. (I'm not electronic techy) Does anyone have any ideas?

(link removed - Ian)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Hi short4stuff, the link you posted directed us to an attachment on a site that requires a login to view. Can you upload the image direct to this site using the "upload a file" button please?

JWHassler

Dec 22, 2014
That sounds like (what has been in the past, too many times) an iffy wire connection. (Usually the starter ground.)

short4stuff

Feb 15, 2015
I've check all ciruicts going to the ecm. I can power them up with a 55 watt bulb.
When the ecm closes the ground I get a very high resistance. Only enough to light a 3.8 watt bulb (dim)

I am going to check the connection at the ecm to the circuit with a proper test probe, but it looks ok.