Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple Relay HELP!!

geis

Oct 21, 2010
Hello all! New to the forum and have a quick question.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to simple circuit layouts but here is my problem. I am setting up my wife's car to have daytime running LED's that turn off automatically when she turns on the headlights. These LEDs will be a totally different set of lights. I know that most DTL are a dimmer to the existing lights but we don't want that.

The picture shows what I am trying to get at. I believe I might have the connections to the relay mixed up.
Hope you all can help!
-Geis

relay.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

geis

Oct 21, 2010
Also, ignore the fact that the picture is a 110/120. I will be getting a standard 12V SPDT. :D

skydivewags

Oct 27, 2010
The second schematic looks good to me. You will at the very least need current limiting resistors in series with the diodes, but maybe you knew that.

I would wait for someone else to confirm this. Not sure sure if there is a more active forum, but I wouldn't think it would take this long to get an answer.

Wags

Last edited:

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
The second diagram is just about right but there are a couple of details.
The connection to headlights should go to a wire common to all light use, such as parking lights. Pin 5 that goes to the battery should go via the ignition switch.
Sorry I somehow missed this post earlier..