Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simpson 260 Series 5 Multimeter Repair

NViousGK

Mar 26, 2012
I was able to locate the correct battery for my Micronta multimeter, but now I have a problem with my Simpson 260. :(

I don't trust any of the ohms readings, because when trying to zero out the scales, I was able to get the RX1 to zero, but both the RX100 and RX100,000 scales will not xero. The needle goes way past the zero, and I can't bring it back. I was able to adjust the R21 variable resistor so that I can get two scales upper ohms scales to zero, but then the RX1 won't. :confused:

So I guess I need to have my meter repaired. Does anyone know where I might be able to take my 260 in Las Vegas for this kind of old school repair?

I'm familiar with www.simpson260.com. They seem OK, but I was hoping to find something a lot closer, and possibly less expensive. $35.00 minimum repair and $70.00 per hour do seem to be too high to me, and that doesn't include shipping. :eek:

Thanks much. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's not uncommon on an analog multimeter for the zero adjust to need to be reset when moving between scales.

If you *can't* zero it (and it's not a flat battery) then it could be a fault.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
I think analog meters have different DC voltage or Battery for Low and High range of resistance reading. It's also probable that shunt resistance for that range have changed value and needs replacement.

Kid Shalleen

Feb 26, 2014
For what it's worth. I had two meters that I just started rehabbing. Neither meter was capable of being zeroed in the highest position and went negative in the Rx1 and Rx10 positions.
Both meters had issues with battery mountings. One from battery leakage and the other had a smashed battery holder. Not having a schematic for either meter at the time, I took the 1 D-Cell battery and the 4-AA batteries (which both were set up for) as being linked in parallel when in fact they should have been in series. Once I corrected that I had two fine meters. One is a Simpson 260 series 5,and the other is an Eico 565. Good luck. Remember, most times the problems are simple,...simply overlooked. ;)

gary pelfrey

Jul 23, 2017
For what it's worth. I had twconfiguration may bers that I just started rehabbing. Neither meter was capable of being zeroed in the highest position and went negative in the Rx1 and Rx10 positions.
Both meters had issues with battery mountings. One from battery leakage and the other had a smashed battery holder. Not having a schematic for either meter at the time, I took the 1 D-Cell battery and the 4-AA batteries (which both were set up for) as being linked in parallel when in fact they should have been in series. Once I corrected that I had two fine meters. One is a Simpson 260 series 5,and the other is an Eico 565. Good luck. Remember, most times the problems are simple,...simply overlooked. ;)
I have an older 260 I bought on eBay. It wont work at all. I think the AA batery configuration may be the problem. Does anyone have a diagram or photo showing how they should be installed?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If the meter won't work on the volts range (where it doesn't require batteries) it is possible that the meter itself is defective (damaged deflection coil) which is common in older devices such as yours.

It is sometimes possible to have the meter repaired but it is a skilled and expensive task.

gary pelfrey

Jul 23, 2017
Thank you kellys_eye. I was going to use it as a backup for my other 260 at work. But sounds like I'll be better off buying another one and giving this one to my stepson to tinker with.