Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simpson 260 series 6xlp repair?

kf5aeo

Dec 31, 2011
i have a simpson with the taught band suspension that had the glass pushed in on one side. i removed the cover in an attemp to fix it and got the glass back in place, but when i put the cover back on the needle centers on the scale. and i tried turning the adjustment and the needle doesnt respond. tried removing the cover and doing it again, but nothing.

What do i need to do

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Not that I know what a simpson is, but I gather that the suspension has been bent by the glass and that the band is no longer taut.
It requires extreme delicacy to restore these movements, and DIY there's no guarantee that it will be accurate afterwards.
Here is a CA based company that seems to deal with repairs of these meters.

Last edited:

kf5aeo

Dec 31, 2011
Not that I know what a simpson is, but I gather that the suspension has been bent by the glass and that the band is no longer taut.
It requires extreme delicacy to restore these movements, and DIY there's no guarantee that it will be accurate afterwards.
Here is a CA based company that seems to deal with repairs of these meters.

the glass didnt ever touch the needle untill it deflected far enough over to the right where the glass was pushed down when i take the glass back off it drops back below zero

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I'm sorry but from your description I'm unable to establish a good understanding of how the problem manifests itself..
A wild guess; a metal shaving or a glass shard or some other debris has lodged in the coil/magnet area, stopping the movement at one point.
Another wild guess; the needle or the susension has been bent so that the needle (or the coil) touches something (glass/scale/magnet) as it deflects.
A third wild guess; the pin in the adjustment screw does not align with the slot in the adjustment fork - maybe it's bending the fork instead.

Joe Palooka

Jan 3, 2012
i have a simpson with the taught band suspension that had the glass pushed in on one side. i removed the cover in an attemp to fix it and got the glass back in place, but when i put the cover back on the needle centers on the scale. and i tried turning the adjustment and the needle doesnt respond. tried removing the cover and doing it again, but nothing.

What do i need to do

Once you have the glass in place, when you place the meter into the glass holding cover, make sure that the pin that extends from the adjustment screw aligns with the center of the U shaped slot on the movement adjuster. That pin may be on the side and you moved it one way, but now have no means to move it back. When it is in the center of the slot, the pin will move it left and right. If that U was bent back, you may have to carefully bend to back towards the glass.