Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simrad VHF radiotelephone handset speaker - poor sound

driver06

Jul 14, 2019
[mod edit: removed nonsensical header information]
Hello,
I have a 2006 Simrad AHS81 Radiotelephone with two handsets that connect to a “black box”on my boat in France. The internal earpiece speaker on one of the handsets has lost some of its volume and the sound has become rather tinny and distorted. Simrad say no parts are available and nobody seems interested in repairing it. Fitting a new radio would leave all sorts of nasty holes. Does it sound as if a speaker replacement in the headset would do the trick (which would be about the extent of my ability) or is is likely to be in the electronics?
Or I could maybe fit an external speaker, if so how far away should it be from the handset to avoid feedback, please?
Alternatively, does anybody have a used handset (or two) for this model for sale?
Any advice, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It may not help, but my experience with earpieces (if it's not the cable to the blackbox itself), is that moisture collects grime, and that
can cause reduced volume. I would try to clean the earpiece before trying to replace it.
Someone here might come-up with a replacement supplier for you, but you asked for 'any advice', and that's what I'd try first.
Good luck.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Check if the handset/microphone connector in the VHF radio black box is similar to other transceivers and test/borrow another. You must isolate diagnosing to the main unit or the handset. There is nothing simpler than connecting a speaker and listening to its audio. Can you determine which pin is audio out in the 'black box' ?
Check the rear panel for an external speaker jack and confirm bad or good audio by hooking/plugging a speaker there.
There should be no feedback as it works simplex PTT. Do you have the unit operator's manual ?

?----> http://www.2040-parts.com/simrad-rs81-marine-vhf-radio-handset-only-ahs81-i2305324/
?----> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1288907/Simrad-Rs81.html?page=32#manual
?----> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1288907/Simrad-Rs81.html?page=33#manual

Last edited:

driver06

Jul 14, 2019
Thank you for your replies. I have a second handset which is fine on receive when using the same socket, so presume the problem is in the handset. Its not only lacking in volume it sounds tinny and distorted. I do have a handbook, but its in Italian! The link to the manuals will be useful, thanks. I will try Simrad UK for advice, although they have already told me they have no spares for it.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
I would open the tinny distorted sounding handset and connect another similar speaker instead of the original to diagnose if the speaker is bad; then replace it with whatever performs in it. If the audio amplifier or path in it is producing the same problem with the replaced speaker, take some pictures and come back with observations.

driver06

Jul 14, 2019
I would open the tinny distorted sounding handset and connect another similar speaker instead of the original to diagnose if the speaker is bad; then replace it with whatever performs in it. If the audio amplifier or path in it is producing the same problem with the replaced speaker, take some pictures and come back with observations.