Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Single Digit Seven Segment Display Scoreboard HELP!!

thefstopjedi

Jul 25, 2013
Hi

Here is a partially wired breadboard. I wired the first PB circuit.
Red=+5, Black=Gnd, Green = jumper.
while assembling, I noticed that you have c11 meeting up with SW10 at Gnd. Will I need to repeat this same layout with each switch? (meaning ill need 5 of c11) and if so would that also be the same with c10 as well?

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Thats not far off from what I was doing so that gives me a bit of encouragement.

Yes...your doing good!:)

One (maybe silly) question. if I were to consolidate all of the components, in the same arrangement on the board, but just closer together. would i have any problems with interference or anything? reason Im asking is I'm going to (once all is said and done on a prototype board) be putting this in a relatively small space, as it needs to fit into the tables jumbotron.

That should be OK....This is all DC and there are no discrete oscillators so should be ok to move the parts closer together. They may be heat from the ULN2004 when its driving all LED segments at the same time (like when displaying 0 (zero) or during lamp test. But we'll see when you test on the breadboard.

Do you plan on making a PC board?

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
while assembling, I noticed that you have c11 meeting up with SW10 at Gnd. Will I need to repeat this same layout with each switch? (meaning ill need 5 of c11) and if so would that also be the same with c10 as well?

No..C11 and c10 are the main power supply bypass caps. You only need one of each of those.

Great questions!;)

thefstopjedi

Jul 25, 2013
No..C11 and c10 are the main power supply bypass caps. You only need one of each of those.

Great questions!;)
OK, thank you.
so the gnd pin on the switches DON'T have to be connected to c11 just be connected to Gnd?
IE: if I were to move the switch portion over one row and ground it (assuming I'm also moving the resistors and everything left of the switch) everything should work as planed?

As for PC board, right now I need to design it on the BB to see what kind of space we are looking at, as I mentioned before, it needs to fit in the jumbotron. So I'm planing everything around available space.

So once I get this working, I have to work on maybe breaking it up to fit together a little differently.

If i can get away with purchasing something pre-made OR standard that will fit my needs and the physical space, that would be great. However, I have seen a few places that will make them for you based on your schematics but the set-up cost is a bit more then maybe I want to spend given the amount into it already.

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
OK, thank you.
so the gnd pin on the switches DON'T have to be connected to c11 just be connected to Gnd?

Yes..closest ground point.

IE: if I were to move the switch portion over one row and ground it (assuming I'm also moving the resistors and everything left of the switch) everything should work as planed?

Yes

As for PC board, right now I need to design it on the BB to see what kind of space we are looking at, as I mentioned before, it needs to fit in the jumbotron. So I'm planing everything around available space.

So once I get this working, I have to work on maybe breaking it up to fit together a little differently.

Yeah...you still have to workout the wiring from the board to the LED displays..

If i can get away with purchasing something pre-made OR standard that will fit my needs and the physical space, that would be great. However, I have seen a few places that will make them for you based on your schematics but the set-up cost is a bit more then maybe I want to spend given the amount into it already.

OK...Sounds like a good plan...for now, lets focus on the bread boarding and get this working :)

thefstopjedi

Jul 25, 2013
Yes..closest ground point.

Yes

Yeah...you still have to workout the wiring from the board to the LED displays..

OK...Sounds like a good plan...for now, lets focus on the bread boarding and get this working :)
ok, So I think I'm reading the reset switch portion correctly but Could you take a look and see if I got it right?

what id like to do is get the switches off to one part of the board so I can put the cd4033's, resistor arrays, uln2003's and Segments all in a row to make wiring inside the the jumbotron easer and fit.

also, is the lamp test necessary? or could I do without it to save space if needed?

Attachments

• Reset switch.jpg
    Reset switch.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 83

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
ok, So I think I'm reading the reset switch portion correctly but Could you take a look and see if I got it right?

Looks ok.

what id like to do is get the switches off to one part of the board so I can put the cd4033's, resistor arrays, uln2003's and Segments all in a row to make wiring inside the the jumbotron easer and fit.

ok..

also, is the lamp test necessary? or could I do without it to save space if needed?

Its up to you...its more of a convenience but you don't really need it.
It's purpose is what it sounds like...it applies power to all LED segments
so you can see they are all working.
If you don't want it, you can just connect pin 14 of each 4033 to ground.

Or you can just take a cap and resistor and do this:

T = R * C = 1M * 1uF = 1sec

+5v
|
C=1uF
|---------Pin 14 of 4033's
R=1M
|
Gnd

When the circuit powers on, the lamp test pin will go high and turn on all displays for about 1 sec then
display 0 (zero)

Last edited:

thefstopjedi

Jul 25, 2013
Looks ok.

ok..

Its up to you...its more of a convenience but you don't really need it.
It's purpose is what it sounds like...it applies power to all LED segments
so you can see they are all working.
If you don't want it, you can just connect pin 14 of each 4033 to ground.

Or you can just take a cap and resistor and do this:

T = R * C = 1M * 1uF = 1sec

+5v
|
C=1uF
|---------Pin 14 of 4033's
R=1M
|
Gnd

When the circuit powers on, the lamp test pin will go high and turn on all displays for about 1 sec then
display 0 (zero)
Excellent, thank you!
Sorry I was away for a bit and also working on getting this built on a bread board. and I really took a while making sure things were where they needed to go. (or a least I'm 98% sure Im where i need to be)
Right now I just need to connect the Led's and power it up. but

I have one two-part question that i think you answered already. but can't seem to find it.
the lead off of R6, From DP, is that supposed to be connected to Grd? or not connected as pictured? as it is for the dismal and not used?

and second,
the leads of of the display itself, listed as "A" thru "G" the data sheet I have for the display has them listed as "1" thru "10".
I was looking online and would this translation be correct:?

A=7
B=6
C=4
D=2
E=1
F=9
G=10
DP=5

and Pins 3 & 8 to Pos.

or is it just pin 8 the Vcc (connected the Pos) while 3 is not connected at all?

and third, why can't all of this just make sense? ;)

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
Excellent, thank you!
Sorry I was away for a bit and also working on getting this built on a bread board. and I really took a while making sure things were where they needed to go. (or a least I'm 98% sure Im where i need to be)
Right now I just need to connect the Led's and power it up. but

I have one two-part question that i think you answered already. but can't seem to find it.
the lead off of R6, From DP, is that supposed to be connected to Grd? or not connected as pictured? as it is for the dismal and not used?

Yes...it is for the decimal point and is not used. Its a common anode display so it should be connected, either to +V, or just leave unconnected so it won't light up.

and second,
the leads of of the display itself, listed as "A" thru "G" the data sheet I have for the display has them listed as "1" thru "10".
I was looking online and would this translation be correct:?

A=7
B=6
C=4
D=2
E=1
F=9
G=10
DP=5

and Pins 3 & 8 to Pos.

or is it just pin 8 the Vcc (connected the Pos) while 3 is not connected at all?

Its mapped the same as the datasheet (shown in the bottom right corner)
Your mapping looks right. Pins 3 and 8 should both be connected to VCC so LED segment load current is shared by both pins.

and third, why can't all of this just make sense? ;)

It will...just takes some education, time and experience...;)

thefstopjedi

Jul 25, 2013
Yes...it is for the decimal point and is not used. Its a common anode display so it should be connected, either to +V, or just leave unconnected so it won't light up.

Its mapped the same as the datasheet (shown in the bottom right corner)
Your mapping looks right. Pins 3 and 8 should both be connected to VCC so LED segment load current is shared by both pins.

It will...just takes some education, time and experience...;)
Ok, so I got it all on the breadboard, and plunged it in, and when it powers on, all the the segments come on, and stay on, pressing the switches does nothing on any of the segments.
they don't blink or show any sings that anything is happening. same also goes for the reset switch.

before I go thru and send some photos of the board and maybe a drawing on how I have it hooked up, any thoughts on what I might want to check first?

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
Hi

So...tell me a little about your breadboard circuit.
There are three display circuits that are close to the same. Did you wire one display circuit? All three? the whole circuit?

Is each LED displaying a "zero" or "eight"?

thefstopjedi

Jul 25, 2013
I wired all three display circuits, and I left out the lamp test portion.
the displays all read "eight"

here is a pic. perhaps there is something fundamental i did wrong in setting up the board?

Attachments

• image1-5.JPG
    image1-5.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 79

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
Hi

If displaying 8, verify that LT is not enabled. Double check that pin 14 on all CD4033's is connected to ground and not floating.

If displays are still lighted, pick one circuit and trouble shoot till you get it working.

A couple of easy things to try that might give us a hint:
1. turn off power, remove the ULN2003 from the socket, then power back on.
Display should be off.
2. turn power off, re-install ULN2003, remove CD4033B from socket, then power back on.
Display should be off.

thefstopjedi

Jul 25, 2013
Hi

If displaying 8, verify that LT is not enabled. Double check that pin 14 on all CD4033's is connected to ground and not floating.

If displays are still lighted, pick one circuit and trouble shoot till you get it working.

A couple of easy things to try that might give us a hint:
1. turn off power, remove the ULN2003 from the socket, then power back on.
Display should be off.
2. turn power off, re-install ULN2003, remove CD4033B from socket, then power back on.
Display should be off.
Ok, I did what you suggested, it is still not working.
However, in removing the "lamp test" portion of the schematic, I neglected to do anything to pin 14 on the CD4033's. I connected all 3 straight to Ground as suggested, and now when I power it on, none of the displays turn on, and nothing happens when i press any of the switches.

Is there something else that in perhaps NOT connecting the lamp test, that I may also have over looked and would effect the function of the project as a whole or one of the chips in the same way?

also, removing both the ULN2003's and the CD4033B's as suggested resulted in the displays being off with no response.

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
Ok, I did what you suggested, it is still not working.
However, in removing the "lamp test" portion of the schematic, I neglected to do anything to pin 14 on the CD4033's. I connected all 3 straight to Ground as suggested, and now when I power it on, none of the displays turn on, and nothing happens when i press any of the switches.

Ok...the displays shouldn't light on power up if pin 14 is grounded. That's good. But we still have to find out why the button doesn't increment the display.

Is there something else that in perhaps NOT connecting the lamp test, that I may also have over looked and would effect the function of the project as a whole or one of the chips in the same way?

Yes, but you fixed it by grounding pin 14.

also, removing both the ULN2003's and the CD4033B's as suggested resulted in the displays being off with no response.

That's good. What I was looking for was an alternate circuit path that may have been lighting the displays.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter so you can perform some voltage checks?[/QUOTE]

thefstopjedi

Jul 25, 2013
Ok...the displays shouldn't light on power up if pin 14 is grounded. That's good. But we still have to find out why the button doesn't increment the display.

Yes, but you fixed it by grounding pin 14.

That's good. What I was looking for was an alternate circuit path that may have been lighting the displays.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter so you can perform some voltage checks?
[/QUOTE]

I do, yes.

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
Hi.

Its a little difficult to identify each of the chips.
I've uploaded part of the photo you sent that marks the two
sections of the breadboards 1 and 2. Use these and the letter/number
markings on the breadboard to "call out" specific wire connections. For
example, the first breadboard hole, at the bottom right, in section 2, is 2-A-1
the first breadboard hole, at the bottom left, in section 2, is 2-J-1

1. For starters, troubleshoot the circuit in section 2 first.
2. Can you mark each chip with its designator, like U9, U10 etc.?
3. Where is pin 1 on each chip?
4. What is the part number of the resistor pack?
5. Verify the supply voltages are correct on all ICs:.
Check the voltage across pins 16, 8 of 4033, should be 5v.
Check the connection at pin 14,15, of 4033, should be GND(0v).
Check the voltage across pins 14, 7 of 40106, should be 5v.

Attachments

• image1-5A.jpg
    image1-5A.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

thefstopjedi

Jul 25, 2013
Hi.

Its a little difficult to identify each of the chips.
I've uploaded part of the photo you sent that marks the two
sections of the breadboards 1 and 2. Use these and the letter/number
markings on the breadboard to "call out" specific wire connections. For
example, the first breadboard hole, at the bottom right, in section 2, is 2-A-1
the first breadboard hole, at the bottom left, in section 2, is 2-J-1

1. For starters, troubleshoot the circuit in section 2 first.
2. Can you mark each chip with its designator, like U9, U10 etc.?
3. Where is pin 1 on each chip?
4. What is the part number of the resistor pack?
5. Verify the supply voltages are correct on all ICs:.
Check the voltage across pins 16, 8 of 4033, should be 5v.
Check the connection at pin 14,15, of 4033, should be GND(0v).
Check the voltage across pins 14, 7 of 40106, should be 5v.

Ok, so before I got to involved in charting out the digram: I checked the leads voltage across 16 and 8 of the 4033 IS 5v, However across 14.15 of the same 4033, it is 5 volts. (That is with me placing the Gnd on pin 14 and the pos on pin 15 assuming thats what you meant)

and Im also getting 5v across pins 14 and 7 of the 40106.

as for plotting the board, I apparently have it flipped so the #s start on the right. I don't know if that changes anything as the board would still wire the same. just the #'s would be in reverse.

Im also getting 5v on the poz and neg rails throughout the whole board.

having said that:

The 40106 chip (u3,u2,u5,u6) pin ONE would be at 2-F-38

Cd4033 (home) Pin ONE would be at 2-F-36

Pin one of the ULN2003 for Home is at 2-F-17

the part number for the resistor arrays, is 4116R-1-201LF

For secton 1:
Pin ONE of the CD4033 (away) is at 1-E-4

And then I have the exact same wiring for the Away and Period circuits in the same order as the home circuit but in section 1. with pin one wired back to the correct pin on the 40106

eetech00

Nov 17, 2014
Hi

1. Make sure Lamp each test pin is connected to ground if not used.

2. Connect a 1uf, 25v, cap from +5 to pin 15 of 4033. This will make sure the 4033 resets on power up.
Do this for each 4033 but you can test it on one of them. So pin 15 of each 4033 should be like this:

+5v
|
C=1uF
|---------Pin 15 of 4033
R=1M
|
Gnd

eT