Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Single Flashing LED circuit

MikeBester

Mar 21, 2012
I have very little electronic knowledge. My wife was given the gadgits by someone who claimed that, if assembled, it would flash a blue light +- 3 times a sec. Can anyone confirm the gadgits as per the image and provide me with a circuit drawing to get the Led operational. I would be very thankful.

ynp5h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Unless that is a flashing LED (Built in circuitry) there is nothing there to suggest that it would flash.

To assemble follow these:

1. Connect one side of the resistor to the red wire

2. The other side of the resistor to the anode (lead on the rounded side of the LED) of the LED

3. Connect the cathode (side with flat portion) of the LED to the black wire

if it is going to work, that is how it will be set up, the resistor is a current limiting resistor so that the LED does not get burnt out, like I said, the LED will only flash if it is a flashing LED, if it is a regular one it will just come on and stay on.

Hope this helps

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
That resistor doesn't look right. There don't appear to be any color coding bands. Does it have any markings; if so, what are they?

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
That resistor doesn't look right. There don't appear to be any color coding bands. Does it have any markings; if so, what are they?

I noticed that, but I was attributing it to the low quality of the image, and the similar colored blue background

MikeBester

Mar 21, 2012
GreenGiant: Thank you very much. The LED (bulb section) is cylindrical and the one wire has a larger ending than the other. I cannot therefore identify the anode and cathode as per your points 2 & 3. My apologies for the quality. I took the photo with a 11mega pixel camera and reduced the size to comply with tinipic requirements. If you require a clearer one I will redo it.
KJ6EAD: No, there are no markings or colour coding bands on the resistor.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The long led leg should go towards the + end of the battery. The short leg should go towards the - end of the battery.

Arn't there two yellow bands on the resistor?

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
If there are no markings, that may be a 0 Ohm jumper which wouldn't protect the LED from overcurrent if it doesn't have a blinker circuit inside.

By the way, a 3V supply wouldn't light a blue LED very bright if at all. Something's not right here. Do you have a multimeter? What happens if you connect the LED to just one battery directly (no resistor)?

Last edited: