Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Size discrepancy in 15R 330W Platinum Lamps

partyanimallighting

Oct 22, 2012
Hi all,
I've encountered an issue whilst checking a non-striking 330 Watt moving head. The unit starts up fine, goes through the "RESET" and "HOMING" process but there is no lamp strike. Simple enough problem right? Faulty lamp or ballast. When checking this sort of problem I normally swap out the possible faulty ballast with a new working one and, if I still don't get a lamp strike, I then check the DC voltage to the ballast and then check the lamp feed wires for continuity and, if that's fine, I swap out the lamp. Simple enough. Now here's the thing.....when I tried to swap out the possible faulty lamp (listed as a Platinum 15R) with a new one, the new lamp WOULD NOT FIT! Soooo I got out my calipers and the new 15R lamps that I have in stock are about 3MM larger in diameter than the original lamp so it cannot fit into the lamp recess. I never encountered this before so I'm wondering if the possible faulty lamp installed is the unit is of Chinese manufacture or maybe not a Platinum but a Sirius (it definitely looks like a 15R and not a Sirius 330)? I've attached a couple pix and I'd love to get some feedback on this for clarity. The original lamp is the second photo.
15R LAMP IN STOCK.jpg 15R LAMP ORIGINAL.jpg

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi @partyanimallighting
It may be that different manufacturers have slightly different diameters?.
Philips have 15R’s with a diameter of 58.5mm.
Spec sheet.

Also it’s 300W not 330W.
Very frustrating for you though.

Martin

partyanimallighting

Oct 22, 2012
Yes. And these lamps are designed with gaps on either side to allow cooling across the arc from one side of the lamp to the other so the lamps also have to be orientated properly in their housings. I've checked the specs for 15R and 16R and I've found something that will work (but Chinese) on Alibaba so there's a risk factor involved. Based on the specs for the original Philips 15R, their lamps are a little over 2MM too wide to fit into the exact dimensions of the lamp housing in question so I figured I would bring up the issue here to get the hive's thoughts on this. Thanks for the quick response!!