Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Slide taper potentiometer carbon dead spots

Badger

Jul 18, 2020
Hi guys, first post so will try to include as much info as I can.

I'm looking to either source or repair some potentiometers that are fitted to my old turntables, as they have lost the centre position and the speed doesn't change until they reach approximately plus 6%, then they speed up far too quickly, as nothing happens in between at all.

The information that I've found is as follows:
128mm long with 100mm of travel, 15mm shaft and a part number on the side of 10kbm2-
I understand (after much research), that the 10k is kohms and the b stands for taper, but am unsure what the m2- section means if anything at all?

I've found many different slide pots on the net, but nothing that has the pins for soldering onto the pcb in the same place.
I've also taken them to pieces and cleaned them with contact cleaner but no dice, I've also looked at the carbon strips but can't seem to highlight any spots that are worn, checked the brushes and they appear fine as well.

Have any of you come across this sort of issue before and if yes how did you rectify it or where did you manage to source replacement parts please?

Thanks Jim

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Welcome to the forum Jim. Contact cleaner always worked for me. What is the make and model of the turntables giving you trouble?

bertus

Nov 8, 2019

Badger

Jul 18, 2020
Welcome to the forum Jim. Contact cleaner always worked for me. What is the make and model of the turntables giving you trouble?
Hi, thanks for replying Peter
I've stripped them both down and cleaned them with contact cleaner but still the same.
The turntables at Numark TT 500s and Numark have discontinued supply due to the age of them

Badger

Jul 18, 2020

Badger

Jul 18, 2020
Hi Bertus, thanks for replying.
I've checked both of those sites before and the parts are discontinued on them.
Is there a maximum file size for pictures on here ? Keep getting an error

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

When you resize the pictures to about 300 kB, you will be fine to post.

bertus