Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Small Audio Amp

Dott24

Jan 21, 2015
I'm Looking to build a small relatively light audio amp. I want to output about 100db's and last for about 20min with a rechargeable battery. i'm looking at one of these kits http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/b/6355639011 if someone could help me with this that would be awesome i idk what speaker or battery to use.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
For highest efficiency with battery operation, you will want a class D amplifier. These will use half the power of a standard (class AB) at the same power level, meaning the same batteries will last twice as long.

You should also look for efficient speakers. There are speakers out there that will produce 100dB at 1W, though they are likely to be either expensive or poor sound quality. (pick and 2 of sound quality, efficiency and price).

Bob

Dott24

Jan 21, 2015
For highest efficiency with battery operation, you will want a class D amplifier. These will use half the power of a standard (class AB) at the same power level, meaning the same batteries will last twice as long.

You should also look for efficient speakers. There are speakers out there that will produce 100dB at 1W, though they are likely to be either expensive or poor sound quality. (pick and 2 of sound quality, efficiency and price).

Bob
have any idea where to get said parts??

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You can find class D amps, there is a very common one that is 3W and runs off 5V on Ebay, it costs only a couple of bucks.

As for speakers, I don't know. MadisoundSpeakerStore.com is a good source for raw drivers and info on building speakers. I went there and tried to search for efficient speakers and was not successful. You could probably send them a question.

Just so you know what you are looking for, each 6dB of efficiency will require 1/2 the power to get the same loudness. For example a 94db at 1W speaker will take 2W to get 100Db, an 88Db at 1W speaker will require 4W etc.

Bob