Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Small DC motor powering another DC motor to generator

David Lacroix

Sep 15, 2016
Hi,

First of all, I'm a total noob. I've just started to light up LEDs with transistor and some other sensors. I've got just about the most basics skills.

Alright, so I bought some super small permanent magnet DC motors and I had the idea to connect them both with a pulley and belt system to make a generator of the motor that is driven. Would the ''generator'' produce AC voltage? Playing with the size of pulley and making the ''generator'' go faster I wonder if a could use the power from it, if it would be powerful enough to power led and play around that side of the circuit?

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It depends on the type of motor you're using as a generator.

But in general, yes you can use the power you're generating, but beware that it may vary significantly based on speed and load.

Also remember you'll get significantly less power out of the generator than you put into the motor.

Last edited:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
One of the most efficient way to duplicate a 'Synchro' is to use two identical bipolar stepper motors, the slave will follow the master in rpm and position.
A DC motor will produce/generate a DC voltage, NOT AC that can be used to drive the slave but it depends on the load of the slave, it will be less in rpm than the master.
The output of the master will be close to the rated rpm, IOW if you have a 1000rpm 24vdc motor it will output close to 24vdc at 1000rpm when back fed or rotated by another source.
M.