Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Small Transformer Profiles

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
Hi all,

I am having a bit of trouble finding an appropriate Transformer for a design i am working on. The issue is with the size of the transformer (cant find one small enough!!).

The transformer must be capable of handleing 18W but it also must be no higher than 13mm.

Has anyone come accross any new technologies or any products that offer an 18W transformer at lower than 15mm??

I have a custom design down to 14.5mm but this requires a custom made bobbin and the tooling is fairly expensive....

Thanks in advance for any points in the right direction.

Rob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Can you gain a few mm by mounting it in a cutout on a board (rather than on a board)?

Are we talking a mains transformer? (Not that I can help you, but the question seems a little vague to me)

I have some small mains transformers, but they're about 20mm tall -- and I thought that was small. Perhaps the same manufacturer has smaller ones.

Wait here while I find the manufacturer...

Sorry, that took longer than I thought. It is ERA.

The smallest is around 15mm tall. But some are as low as a couple of VA. And RS lists them as "discontinued" anyway.

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
Cheers for the reply.

Sorry i should of been clearer but left it vaque as i didnt want to deter responces by looking for an exact part as i can change the electronic design its the space confignment that is critical.

The transformer is for a flyback design to drive LED's so the transformer is essentially stepping down "DC" from rectified mains.

I thought about having a cut out PCB and wireing the transformer through that (as there is a 4mm or so gap bellow the board) but i was worried about sending it through reflow for the other components as the board may flood.