Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Snap Action Switch to Activate Linear Actuator

kevin0226

Sep 11, 2021
Hi. Newbie here, and someone who is completely ignorant of electronics. I am trying to open and close a small door with a linear actuator that is triggered by a snap action switch. So when the small auto pulls into the garage, it depresses the switch which retracts the actuator closing the door. And when leaving the garage, the switch is released which extends the actuator opening the door. I have no idea how to wire this. Can anyone help? A wiring diagram would be a great help. Do I need any other components?

By the way, the small auto is a robot lawn mower. I built a garage for it and need a door... Thank you!

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Closing the door once the mower is home in its base station should just require the mower to push on a switch, or break a light beam.
The same switch could also open the door when the mower starts to move, but there is a risk that the mower will hit the door before it fully opens.

Any chance of a few photos?

kevin0226

Sep 11, 2021
No photos as I haven't put the door in yet. However, if you look at this short YouTube video, you'll see near the end how it will work. But I still don't know how to wire it.

Thanks!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Will be rather dangerous if the door is not fitted with "load" or "limit" switches.
Does the door need to open from the outside..?

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Hi. Newbie here, and someone who is completely ignorant of electronics. I am trying to open and close a small door with a linear actuator that is triggered by a snap action switch. So when the small auto pulls into the garage, it depresses the switch which retracts the actuator closing the door. And when leaving the garage, the switch is released which extends the actuator opening the door. I have no idea how to wire this. Can anyone help? A wiring diagram would be a great help. Do I need any other components?

By the way, the small auto is a robot lawn mower. I built a garage for it and need a door... Thank you!
Is the mower self-driving or guided by manual operated RC unit?

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019

The video answered my previous question. However, now I am curious as to the controller platform it uses. I will guess a microcontroller with RAM so that a person can program the general path it will follow. When it does the studder steps, I'm guessing proximity sensors returning info or perhaps pressure sensors used similar as a blind man uses his white cane. This little guy needs some serious rehab as I see him someday wandering off into traffic.