Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Soil moisture sensor

BHUVANESWARI R

Aug 17, 2017
Hi geeks,
i am doing a project under the title "smart plant irrigation". For my project, i am using a soil moisture sensor to read the water level of the soil every minute.I bought this one for my project initially - https://www.amazon.in/KitsGuru-Mois...ag=f6c9b37a-4b59-4bb6-a592-46e644d320fd.After 2 weeks, the soil moisture sensor reads wrong value due to corrosion.After that I prepared my own the soil moisture sensor using resistor and two nails.As a result, the nails also get corroded.I don't know to resolve the problem.so please guide me.
Thanks in advance

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Feed the sensor with ac or a reversing dc, will need a different circuit from what you already have( no idea here)
The dc is currently causing electrolysis.
Plenty of circuits already out in Google.
Current sensor you are using will never last, use stainless probes in conjunction with new circuit.
Perhaps also only read the moisture once or twice a day, surely that would be enough.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Corrosion is to be expected from the electrochemical reaction between the metal and the moist soil.
Use stainless steel electrodes or gold plated electrodes (probably too expensive).

BHUVANESWARI R

Aug 17, 2017
Feed the sensor with ac or a reversing dc, will need a different circuit from what you already have( no idea here)
The dc is currently causing electrolysis.
Plenty of circuits already out in Google.
Current sensor you are using will never last, use stainless probes in conjunction with new circuit.
Perhaps also only read the moisture once or twice a day, surely that would be enough.

how to play with AC ?and do you have any idea about coating(galvanicing) to avoid corrosion?.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
AC is a good idea, but this sensor board does not seem to be fitted for AC operation.
Galvanisation is possible, the coating needs to be chemically inert, e.g. gold.

BHUVANESWARI R

Aug 17, 2017
AC is a good idea, but this sensor board does not seem to be fitted for AC operation.
Galvanisation is possible, the coating needs to be chemically inert, e.g. gold.
apart from gold any another possible chemical available?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Gold plated wire has been used for electronic organ contacts and a meter of this should be affordible. It is very small diameter though so the resistance to soil may be too high.

Platinum and platinum/rhodium wire should also do but you may need to sell your tiara to buy it.:)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I recall seeing soil moisture sensors as part of Arduino-like kits - they offer this assurance...

One commonly known issue with soil moisture senors is their short lifespan when exposed to a moist environment. To combat this, we’ve had the PCB coated in Gold Finishing (ENIG or Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold).

At $4.95, certainly worth a punt....https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13322

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
You could try carbon rods (from old zinc battery cells) as electrodes.