Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar Energy harvester, MPPT using FOC method ???

mraiton

Sep 28, 2010
hi, i found the solar energy harvester circuit from a journal.. and i still dont understand in the mppt (maximum power point tracker) part and Vsc driven smart enabler.. can anyone help me?? here's the schematic

img811.imageshack.us/img811/4188/solarharvester.jpg

1. for mppt part, i dont understand how to connect the pilot cell to comparator. from the schematic, pilot cell is connected to comparator after passing the focv (fractional open circuit) method.. does it require any additional circuit or components like resistor or capacitor?? can anyone help me?? (give me complete schematic if you can please)..

2. for Vsc driven smart enabler, it's said that this circuit will enable the dc-dc comparator when the supercapacitor voltage exceeds the startup value (typically 1 V).. can anyone give the schematic detail for this enabler??

help me please..
thanks..

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That's not a circuit diagram. It's more of a block diagram.

The idea is that you draw the current from the panel that will result in the maximum power being achieved.

There are at least 2 ways of doing this.

The model used in that diagram is to have another cell effectively monitor the light level, and then to model the performance of the cells and use this to program the current drawn (or the voltage maintained).

The second (and probably better) method is to pick a current and determine the power obtained. Then change it by some quantum. If the power increases change it again in the same direction. If it decreases change it by the same quantum in the opposite direction. Repeat continuously.

The latter method continues to work if the cells no longer fit the original model of behaviour (either by aging or by being partially shaded, dirty, etc).