Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar panel spotlight. Are these the right components?

TheRigger

Sep 26, 2018
Hi everyone
I’m a newbie into the world of electronics and I subscribed in the forum to learn as much as possible about this wolrd that fascinates me a lot!
To succeed at learning something I’m thinking about creating a really simple spotlight alimented by solar energy that turns on and off at a determined time.
I have done some research and I have selected the components that I think I will need for this project, but I’m not sure that these are the right ones, and this is where I need your help!

Are these the right components? Is there anything missing or that I can substitute with something better?

Lets start with the solar energy panel of 6V which will be connected to a Charging board which will be connected to 2 lithium batteries in series of 3.7V. The charging board will be then connected to the Output Charging Board, still connected to a Timer and then to a common spotlight of 5V.

Here is the drawn project that I have made to make everything as clear as possible.
Faretto_02.jpg

I’m ready for any kind of advice and change.
Thanks in advance at everyone!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
1. Does the size of the panel support the length of time you wish to run LED with some reserve?
2. Does the charging board have some form of converter to allow the lower voltage to charge the 2 LiPo's?
3. Do the LiPo's have protection circuits built in. (some do...I will post a link at the bottom for 18650 type)
What is the "Out Char Board" ? what is it there for, what does it do?
4. I would tend to put a fuse in the circuit, close to battery positive would be great.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TrustFi...633791&hash=item3af923e788:g:9EIAAOSwpINaIN1X

BTW.....Good layout and description on your part.

TheRigger

Sep 26, 2018
1. I'm not sure if panel can support the task, it’s a 6V 0.6W solar panel. I do not have a measure of mAh for the panel, it depends on the angle and position of the sun.
2. The board claims to have "safety features" that might work, but I no longer trust it, so I found this Solar Charging Board designed for solar panels, but my question is: should I replace it with the current charging board or add the new one first?
3. I have not chosen the lipo yet, but I will be careful to take the ones with the protection circuit.
The Output charging board takes any input from 0.9 V ~ 5 V and boosted up to 5V ( just thought of it: can I use this board right after the solar panel instead of the "solar charging board" ? )
4.The Fuse is a great idea! I will definitely put it in!