Maker Pro
Maker Pro

solar query

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
Hey beautiful people.
Just a stupid question.
doing a back yard solar grid for some robotics. using el cheapo stuff for some upcoming projects
the setup is a simple panel to controller (am 90% sure its pwm but is labelled MPPT but at the cost I highly doubt it.) controller to battery.
now for the fun if I read the voltage of the battery while it is all connected, in my mind, I am reading the voltage from the solar panel or the battery, whichever is highest. how do you read the voltage of the battery and the solar separately without disconnecting the 2 hopefully.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The solar panel and battery are 'separate' by the MPPT which will convert whatever voltage is coming out of the solar panel to the correct voltage for charging (or maintaining) the battery.

The battery voltage - assuming a lead-acid battery - will be 14.4V when charging and 12.65V 'at rest' (i.e. maintenance charge). The solar panel voltage will depend on the level of sunshine and you cannot derive one from the other so you have to measure them independently.

You should be able to do this at the MPPT/controller as it will have separate connections for the solar panel and the battery.