Maker Pro
Maker Pro

solar tracker mod

fatfenders

Nov 12, 2011
Hello,
I just registered and this is my first post. I have recently embarked on a project to mfgr a portable solar tracker to use when we go camping. I purchased and assembled an MTM solar tracker board and basically have everything working (in its "test" form).
Witness this post... I am just a whole lot better with mechanical stuff than I am electronics.
(You can view the entire project by clicking here)

Basically what I would like to add is a SPDT momentary switch, that if I push to the left, will cause the shaft to rotate east and if pushed to the right will cause the shaft to rotate to the west. My idea is to 'fake' the input of the photo sensors.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

MTM%20schematic.jpg

signature.png

fatfenders

Nov 12, 2011
Well, I am not sure why I didn't get even one response but I did solve the problem...
Rather than include a switch to manually drive the system (east or west) I found that the "sun threshold voltage divider" 9.1k resistor is what determines the sensor sensitivity. So I played around with different resistors until I found the (about) right one (44k). I added a simple switch that switches between the 9.1k(normal) and the 44k(test) resistors. This was a much simpler/easier mod and also allows me to bench test the entire system by simply using a small LED flashlight to simulate the sun.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there

well I guess no one had experience with them
definately wasnt my field. But pleased you found a way around the problem :)

Dave

foTONICS

Sep 30, 2011
this is a little late but what about an H-bridge with a motor to force the shaft to rotate without depending on the sun?

310px-H_bridge.svg.png

you could have one direction closing S1 & S4 and the other closing S2 & S3