Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solar tracker problem - LED generates variable voltage in the sun picked up by pico ADC

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I must say, you put a lot of work into it, should be proud of yourself.
Well if you really think about it, this is all @Bluejets fault!
Think again........... I wouldn't call that shamble tangle of wiring and cardboard cut outs "a lot of work".
Then again, it's probably in the eye of the beholder which doesn't say much for the quote.

iouae

May 14, 2023
Well I had a good time all in good fun
Agreed. And I learned a lot. And the solar tracker worked - with just one LED. It's hard to argue with success. And I don't know what problem Bluejets has with me saying that a LED in the direct sunlight generates 0.8V but in the shade of a curtain, 0.08V or 1/10. It was this ability of a LED to generate a voltage which gets sent to the ADC port of the pico. And in future solar trackers I will definitely use sensors on the side of a piece of cardboard or whatever, because as one rotates the cardboard or as the sun moves there is a sudden and marked change in light intensity. I loved this project.

Here was another solar tracker which I made, without bits of cardboard or a tangle of wires.

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I believe more experimentation is in order let the data or lack there of. draw the final conclusion. Is how science is conducted, "methodology". You see... you have a natural bias towards your project because that your baby. The incumbents on this site are well versed in the physics behind the components themselves there are no shortcuts in design principles.
@Bluejets is a consummate professional. Me on the other hand well...
ephoto_1612629723150.jpg

iouae

May 14, 2023
I believe more experimentation is in order let the data or lack there of. draw the final conclusion. Is how science is conducted, "methodology". You see... you have a natural bias towards your project because that your baby. The incumbents on this site are well versed in the physics behind the components themselves there are no shortcuts in design principles.
@Bluejets is a consummate professional. Me on the other hand well...
View attachment 59052
As a consummate dabbler in science and electronics, a bit of cardboard, a few loose wires, some hot glue and as few components as possible to "more or less" solve the problem is a great victory.

To a consummate professional, the more components one can have, all neatly soldered on an etched breadboard, with a robustness that one can trust one's life on is what impresses them. "Them" I guess would be most folks on this forum.

Jas 1:5
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Help, without being "upbraided", from all sources is appreciated.