Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Soldering Problems

RealLifeYoda

Nov 20, 2021
Hi,
I've been trying to learn how to solder but have not managed so far.

Shortly explained:
I use:
* Temp controlled soldering station(usually about 400 celsius)
* Cleaning stuff that works well
* iron-tip w/ good surface area
* tried 2 different types of lead free solder(1mm thick and 0.35 mm)
* I practice by soldering through hole resistors into an experimental circuit board.

I've tried two techniques. One where I try not to touch the tip directly to the solder and instead heat the component leg and the circuit board. But when i did this it took way too long, so i got the tip to first melt a little solder on the tip and then use that solder to heat up the rest of the solder and component+cboard. But when I try this the solder never sticks onto the tip, it just melts onto itself into a ball.). Any ideas on how to fix this?

I also tried to solder by flowing heat directly from the tip onto the solder, component and cboard. But this only works about 1/4 times. The solder either becomes solid again way too quick or melts up into a ball on itself like I said before. Any ideas on how to fix this?
P.S I also use a fan and have an open window with cool air coming in to get away the flux-fumes from my lead free solder.

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The real life Yoda doesn’t need a soldering iron.
Use the FORCE.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I wouldn't use lead-free solder to start with. Use a flux-cored solder to get the technique right. Only use lead-free where you have to (it's not a legal requirement for hobbyists).

Secondly, what is the physical size of your soldering iron tip. Temperature has less to do with it than the actual heat-carrying ability of the tip.

RealLifeYoda

Nov 20, 2021
Just thought I would update you guys. I just tried soldering with another tip that was a little smaller and a little more pointy and it worked a million times better. Literally seems to have solved all the currently existing problems. Thanks for the help!