Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solenoid drawing barely any current -- is this normal?

j4cobgarby

Sep 18, 2018
F1770114-01.jpg

I bought this ( https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-d-frame-solenoid/1770114/ ) solenoid from RS, and I'm experimenting with it. I attached two 9V batteries in series to it, also in series with a pushbutton switch. It does work -- the plunger pushes forwards -- but it draws such little current that my (old but working) analogue ammeter shows barely any movement.
Is this just normal? I can't find any current-related or even voltage-related info in the datasheet. I'm just wondering if there's any way I can get it to be a bit more powerful.

Thanks!

EDIT: Weirdly when I measured the resistance between the two terminals of the solenoid, the resistance was too high for my meter to measure. What's going on here? From my knowledge of solenoid, it'd just be the two ends of a coil of wire, right?

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Try 24 volts, with some current capability behind it? Got a bench supply?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Agree with #2 BUT a bit of a gamble buying anything without any specs what-so-ever, especially at that price.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
That 24 volt solenoid is fairly small, so wouldn't be surprised that it has a high resistance coil that draws very little current.
What is the maximum resistance that your meter can read?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I can't find any current-related or even voltage-related info in the datasheet.

the voltage is given ... 24V ... it's in the basic datasheet and written on the side of the item
very surprised that the current or coil resistance isn't given

EDIT: Weirdly when I measured the resistance between the two terminals of the solenoid, the resistance was too high for my meter to measure. What's going on here? From my knowledge of solenoid, it'd just be the two ends of a coil of wire, right?

you probably don't have your meter on the correct setting

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
First off, you're powering it with 18V not 24V and second, 9V batteries (assuming the common consumer type) are not capable of much current. While connected, measure what the voltage at the solenoid contacts is.

I agree with dave that your meter must be in the wrong range or incapable of measuring the resistance since it has to be there in order for the solenoid to be working. Considering it is 2019, I would considering investing in a digital multimeter rather than relying on an analog ammeter for small current measurements. Meters for low voltage and current, casual use are quite inexpensive now.

Last edited: