Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solve the riddle and get a piece of test equipment

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
I am noble and depressed,
and nothing in the middle.

What am I?

This is going to be a contest for me to give away some of my test equipment. Solve the riddle and you just pay freight for the equipment. I am the one writing the riddles so you won't have advantage online with it.

First item will be a digital multimeter, sencore dm501.

A riddle uses parrellelism, antithesis, and another one I can't remember how to spell.
There are no hard and fast rules to this, its up to author.

Like this one

I am a unyielding balderdash with a fish-tailed butte.

This is one I wrote ....

unyielding/yielding = tenacious I used a opposite word here
Balderdash = BS = bull
fish-tailed = wagging
butte = butt

So I am a tenacious bulldog with a wagging tail.

They will get much harder then the one above. Of course the equipment will be increasing also.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
An on-off switch?
(I'm not in this for gear, just entertainment)

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
Good try, but no. Remember this is a riddle, not all words mean what they say, but some do.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
My first thoughts are either a momentary switch noble (returning to its original state) and depressed (its second state) nothing in the middle (its just that on or off)

-OR-

a negative helium ion atom, Noble gas, depressed (negative), nothing in the middle doesn't fit very well but helium is very light

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
Its not a switch.

To the one with a guess i am taking as blank, I, in return give you a blank look.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
My guess is plain old Helium but it could be a Neon lamp such as an NE-2.

Last edited:

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
Sorry its not helium or neon lamp, but a bit of information on a neon lamp is that you can use it to see if something is transmitting RF.

Which soon I will no longer think about and will just be wasted information in my head. Ohhh, how good retirement is looking.

I will be moving to another country to retire, but still keep my place here or at least my citizenship.

Come on folks, this is the cheap stuff starting here. Lets get this one done so I can do a fluke digital meter scope.

If you decide to say "I give up", I will show it. But don't give up. I just solved a riddle that was 100 times harder then this. I might not be completely done, I have to see if there is a cipher, but I am on the last step. wooohoooo.

LIfe is great.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A spark gap?

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
No, and no.

I will give a hint, it does have something to do with electronic. So I give you a hint and now you must give me something. Everyone only gets one chance, that is what I get. One will get this in time.

everyone before this post gets another guess.

You can't do a person that has just joined the group. Or a person that has a start date of 10 Feb 2013 to present

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Is it a gold plated through hole?

I don't need a meter. I'm just warming up for the big stuff.

Last edited:

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
Is it Marquis de Sade? I am not the one who should be researching, totally unfair. Turning the tables, hmmmm, hope it was a round table, square might end up hurting me.

and Thurman C. Everts was of unsavory character, they would have made great bedfellows.

No gold hole.

Do I have to tell the truth in a riddle? Look for a lie, misinformation. Of course my riddle is easy for me, its just a little harder for you.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
My (allowed) second guess:

"noble" is literal and means a noble metal, like gold (I like to stick with that).
"depressed" - you may be going for the opposite here: not depressed but bulging, like a basecap.
"nothing in the middle": just the gold and the cap which make for a "goldcap".

If I'm wrong, at least the reasoning is sound, isn't it?

Oh, and I wouldn't need that meter neither. Shipping to Germany may turn out prohibitively costly anyway.

Last edited:

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
Any attempt is a great attempt. You see I am really a doctor doing a case study in the affects of alzheimers on the aging population, with doing a riddle a day to keep your mind healthy. Of course this will only work for the half that is doing the riddles, the other half will probably forget they were part of the study, so you will have to remind them.

Not a goldcap, but excellent try.

Darn, I am now a senior citizen.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Well heck, no wonder I got it wrong. I'm already past the alzheimers stage.
Does this qualify as abuse of my handicap?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Do I have to tell the truth in a riddle?

Only insomuch as once faced with the answer, the clues make it look obvious.

Look for a lie, misinformation.

I hope not. But a alternative or unusual meaning of the words, or a left field description is OK.

Of course my riddle is easy for me, its just a little harder for you.

As it should be.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
i'm stuck on a noble element which is blue(depressed)..... I would google it but my mind is fried just getting that far lol

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
oh stuff it is it a gold plate capacitor?
gold is noble
capacitors are blue(depressed) and other colours
there is nothing between their plates