Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Some doubts about ESD (Electro Static Discharge) protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkim

Dec 7, 2017
Hi,
I hope this question is on-topic here. I have some doubts when it comes to ESD (Electro Static Discharge).

-Are ESD Gloves Anti-Static or Static Dissipative? An item for sale on Amazon says they are 100% static dissipative and one photo therein shows ESD meter displaying its surface resistivity in the Static Dissipative range. I am of the impression that they should be anti-static rather than dissipative

-Even if I am wearing ESD Gloves, can there still be a possible damage due to Machine Model of ESD, i.e. there may still be discharge from one device into another device. E.g. while inserting a CPU in its socket there might be some discharge from CPU pin to Socket conductor or vice versa

-Does wearing ESD gloves eliminate the need for grounded anti-static wrist strap?
Thanks.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
  1. Usually ESD precautions are static dissipative to discharge any static electricity that may have built up.
  2. ESD is the result of a voltage difference between two (or more) parts. Discharging one part (your person) is of limited help if the other part (CPU) is charged. Usually the whole workplace should be ESD-proof by using e.g. an ESD mat, ESD floor etc.
  3. AS in 2: An ESD safe workplace consists of more than just one element. ESD gloves will be of no use if there is no path for the charge to be discharged ('dissipated' to use your words) to a safe potential (usually earth). An antistatic wrist wrap is one method. You can also use antistatic shoes and antistatic flooring, eliminating the need for a wrist wrap.
In addition to the points mentioned you should also avoid wearing garments prone to static charge (e.g. made from plastic fibers). Wear cotton or at least wear an antistatic jacket over your normal garb. Also take care to discharge the components you're handling and transport them in antistatic packages. Also the tools you're using, mainly electric/electronic tools like e.g. a soldering iron need to be ESD compatible.
ESD protection is a holistic principle requiring attention to many details.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I think Harald Kapp covered most everything.
EVERY place I've worked at REQUIRES BARE FINGERS (with ESD Wrist Strap to ground), handling ESD items.
ESD Gloves, sounds like a fantasy to me.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
EVERY place I've worked at REQUIRES BARE FINGERS (with ESD Wrist Strap to ground), handling ESD items.
Agree. With good general ESD measures in place, gloves are unnecessary.

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
ESD is static electricity. It is a high voltage charge. The way to deal with it is to discharge it before working with cmos components. A grounded wrist strap and a grounded flour matt is the best way to deal with ESD.

When cmos material is shipped it is packaged is a conductive material to keep a static charge from happening. The wrist strap aand the flour matt is supposed to do the same thing. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.