Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Something weird happened with a resistor and a mosfet

Paligap

Feb 23, 2016
Today I was playing with the PSU of some broken WII, I opened it up and took out a 101 smd resistor that was between a zener diode and some mosfet on the first instance of this PSU. Then when I was trying to put it back, one of the pads of the resistor made contact with one of the pins of the mosfet and bam! A huge spark ocurred, which scared the hell out me.

The resistor is fine but the pin of the mosfet looks bad, lol.

I don't know what happened.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
A shorted/blown mosfet, pictures ?

(Measure the resistance between all the pins or set to continuity and test)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Today I was playing with the PSU of some broken WII, I opened it up and took out a 101 smd resistor that was between a zener diode and some mosfet on the first instance of this PSU. Then when I was trying to put it back, one of the pads of the resistor made contact with one of the pins of the mosfet and bam! A huge spark ocurred, which scared the hell out me.

The resistor is fine but the pin of the mosfet looks bad, lol.

I don't know what happened.
I sure hope that was a capacitor and that you didn't leave it plugged in...
Capacitors (especially in power supplies) can store a lot of energy for a long time.
Working on them can be dangerous if you don't consider the capacitors.

Paligap

Feb 23, 2016
It wasn't the capacitor, it was the mosfet, I shorted the capacitor right after I opened the PSU, I've been shocked by capacitors in the past so Im always very careful about it.

And I actually saw the these two compnents making contact with each other and saw the spark coming from there. It's just a curious thing to me that I wanted to share.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Was the psu pluged in ? If yes then that could have proven fatal !

Never Ever work on energized circuits ! If it is imparative to do so then you must exercise extreme caution.