Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony Amplifier TA-AX3

microlith

Jun 15, 2018
I have inherited this amplifier, but there is no documentation. It looks a useful device, and I'm wondering whether any member mighjt have some info on how to connect it? My thanks if someone can help.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Not sure what your issue really is - the inputs and outputs on the rear of the unit are all marked as to their purpose and as straight forward as you can get!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Three input options on the left plus complete tape input and loop thru capabilities
Speaker connections over to the right
Possibly different AC connections other than these that are being shown . . .with one switched AC outlet at the bottom.
What else could there be that you don't "apprehend" about this unit ?
Tech specs for the unit are at Hi Fi Engine site.

upload_2018-6-15_11-3-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-15_10-58-50.png
    upload_2018-6-15_10-58-50.png
    693.8 KB · Views: 48

microlith

Jun 15, 2018
Thank you very much Kellys_Eye and 73's de Edd for responding to my message.
One particular question is whether the amp would accept input from a record player? The signal would be from the pickup, so I'm wondering whether a pre-amp would be needed? If a pre-amp is necessary,could one of the three-pin sockets at the right on the rear-panel picture provide a mains power source?

Last edited:

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
There's a phono input on the far left for record player so presumably your unit has a phono preamp built in

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir microlith . . . . . .

In the time progression of electronically amplified phonographs / turntables.
There were the first vacuum tube models which rapidly had their cartridges evolve to crystal cartridges which were designed to have a very hi voltage output, specifically so that they could make a cheaper amplifier, only involving 2 tubes and a rectifier, and the use of a very high 3.5 vac output cartridge to feed it.
Eventually they even came up with a single tube, that had a rectifier section and a power amplifier tetrode within the same octal based tube . . . . the real kicker . . . then being its having a 117vac filament on the tube.
Unfortunately those crystal cartridges had a very short life in warm environs, with output plummeting with time / high humidity presence .
Ergo . . . . declining volume from the units.
The transition to heat tolerable ceramic elements led to long life but with a 1vac output then being the norm.
The hi fi purists had their magnetic / variable reluctance cartridges that had good frequency response and lower tracking weight possible. BUT those units put out down in the sub 5 mV AC output levels. Thereby a preamp(s) were needed to bring the channel(s) output(s) (we be STEEEEE-ROWWWW . . . now ) on up to the ceramic type units output levels.

Now gaze upon the spec for the SONY unit which you now have, and you will be seeing . . . about the 5th line down . . .the 2.5 mV phono input level of a mag cartridge without use of an outboard preamp.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/ta-ax3.shtml

Thassssssit . . . . .

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: