Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony Bravia picture problem

Steffanb303

Nov 29, 2017
My Sony Bravia kd55x8509c 2015 is having problems with the picture especially in Netflix. It is creating a snowy picture in certain scenes of programs. I also have some white dots appearing when playing games and colour saturation turning colours very white. Any advice? I have a 5 year warranty. Could I get it replaced? P.S. they tried to fix it at an approved centre but problem remains. 20171115_154552.jpg

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Picture quality over streaming services can vary with bit rate and the 'fault' you indicate is indicitive of this process.

Try the set with other external inputs of known quality and see if there are any other indications.

Steffanb303

Nov 29, 2017
The problem is mainly with the Netflix app that is on the tv as it is an android tv. It occurs on my xbox one and xbox one x console with the tv but to a lesser degree... to clarify, this bit rate problem. Is this an issue with the tv or my internet?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If the fault is identical on separate video signal inputs then it's not related specifically to the bit rate of the internet connection but within the signal processing circuitry itself - possibly indicative of a dropped 'bit' in a parallel bus.

You might try to find the 'secret code' access to the Built-in Test Software (this is usually via a certain key combination press either on the set or on the remote control) where ceratin functions can be tested that may identify to board level. There's no way you'll get this fixed to component level inside the cost of a replacement set!

Here's a link to a site that offers ideas on secret menu access:

https://www.askvg.com/secret-service-codes-for-sony-and-lg-tv/

Other such sites abound - YMMV

Given the innards are usually only three boards anyway (power, signal processing and backlight/control - maybe a screen driver board too) you may find it easier to source the signal board via the likes of eBay and simply swap them out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-KD-...838667?hash=item3d4df3f50b:g:g5QAAOSwlRpZZbnx