Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony CD/DVD player won't power on after opening case

jojo126

Jan 26, 2021
Hi, I have a Sony 5-disc player. The original problem was that it couldn't locate any tracks after track 1, it could play or fast-forward through a whole disc, but if I tried to skip to other tracks, it would just sit at 0:00. I opened the case and was just able to reach the lens with a q-tip, replaced the case and tried it again - no change. I read on a post on this forum that the lens assembly that moves across the disc is probably stuck. I opened the case again and now the front panel, which was still connected via a flat cable. I was concerned about disassembling the whole tray and decided to try ejecting the tray and then powering it off that way, hoping it would give enough access to the lens assembly. So I put it all back together, but now it won't power on at all. The power cable and front panel flat cables are still connected, the outlet is fine, but it still won't power on... it's like something changed from the 1st time I opened it to the 2nd. Any suggestions? Bear in mind I don't have tools or experience at testing components / pcb contact points, but I am willing to disconnect / reconnect cables etc.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I suggest you carefully open it again and re-seat any connectors that may have dislodged.
You clearly disturbed something or it was a (doubtful) coincidence.

Martin

jojo126

Jan 26, 2021
I suggest you carefully open it again and re-seat any connectors that may have dislodged.
You clearly disturbed something or it was a (doubtful) coincidence.
Martin
Thanks, I did that today, and everything that's within my view is still connected. The power cable connector was never moved, and for the flat thin cable to the front panel, I took out and reinserted the internal end that goes into a pcb connector. Perhaps the other end of that cable that goes into the front panel became disconnected, thus disconnecting the power switch and remote sensor, but I can't access where it's connected there anyway. So, it goes in the electronics-to-recycle pile! Thanks anyway.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It may be out the door now, but like Martaine2005, I would think you knocked something loose, or maybe pinched one of those cables causing an open circuit in one of the wires.