Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony DAT DTC-700 rewind problem

Marcelo Noriega

Jun 9, 2017
I've got a Sony DTC-700 which plays dat tapes fine (new recordings, olds with digital noise).. records good but won't rewind ok. It does it very slugish. In some cases when eject the tape ir looks bitten. Anyone have any idea what I could check? Sorry for my bad English...

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Initially is sounded like you have a bad rewind belt (if it has one), or rewind motor. But the fact that the tapes sometimes look 'bitten' makes me wonder if something isn't out of alignment in the tape path.
Do you feel comfortable taking the cover off the unit and watching the tape travel while the unit is rewinding?
I'd be looking for anywhere along the tape path where the tape visibly bends at the top or bottom while rewinding.
You may have a worn roller that's allowing slippage that's damaging the tape, or something else along the path the tape travels that's 'biting' the tape edges and slowing the rewind function. Look for anything that's interfering with the smooth rewinding of the tape.

Marcelo Noriega

Jun 9, 2017
Initially is sounded like you have a bad rewind belt (if it has one), or rewind motor. But the fact that the tapes sometimes look 'bitten' makes me wonder if something isn't out of alignment in the tape path.
Do you feel comfortable taking the cover off the unit and watching the tape travel while the unit is rewinding?
I'd be looking for anywhere along the tape path where the tape visibly bends at the top or bottom while rewinding.
You may have a worn roller that's allowing slippage that's damaging the tape, or something else along the path the tape travels that's 'biting' the tape edges and slowing the rewind function. Look for anything that's interfering with the smooth rewinding of the tape.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. There is no problem with the rollers. I upload a vídeo to show you what happen when the tape is rewinded. I think the motor is the cause of the problem. It stops by itself when rewind and show caution message in the display

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Well, that sounds like a reasonable diagnosis.
I'd find a schematic and see if I could find a replacement motor, or open the unit and get a manufacturer and part number off of it, and try to find a replacement that way.