Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony LBT-V302 power supply to record deck

BobM

Mar 15, 2022
Hi, I wonder if anyone could advise,

This Sony compact hifi is 30 years old, worked perfectly (apart from the cassette decks, not a problem), but had one niggle almost from the start. The power supply to the record deck comes down a weedy little cable terminating in a tiny plug the size of a little finger thumb nail.

This plug fits into a socket on the back of the amplifier section which wobbles and has always been temperamental as a connection. I took the back off recently and discovered the 3 pins from the socket go straight into the main board with no support and all three were dry joints. .

The pins were too close together for my soldering skills so i took the unit to a local repair man, who managed to short the entire system - something I could have done for free. He subsequently repaired the short without apparent damage to the amplifier but now the turntable doesn't rotate. The motor spins but without sufficient force to move the platter. I'm guessing the short has knackered the motor as it worked perfectly before. Would this be a fair analysis?

Thanks for reading,

Bob

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Have you checked the drive belt? Simple stretching caused by carting the thing around could be the cause.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The motor spins but without sufficient force to move the platter
Take the platter off and see if you can stop the motor with your fingers.
I doubt a short would hurt the motor, it’s low voltage (probably 9/12VDC). more like something else downstream if it’s not just a loose belt.
Let us know your findings.

Martin

BobM

Mar 15, 2022
Many thanks both. The bloke called this morning to say he'd fixed it. I'll know more when I collect it tomorrow.