Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony sound bar fault - flashes on then off again

MBJ78

Sep 13, 2021
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can offer any sage advice on next steps towards fixing my Sony sound bar. The model number is SA-CT260H.

The original problem seemed to be that it would no longer power on at all. Thus I did what any self-respecting amateur without a clue would do: took out the power board and replaced a likely-looking capacitor. Nothing actually looked broken, and the output pins were all outputting. I literally replaced the capacitor I did, because a few months ago I repaired a dehumidifier by replacing exactly the same type, so I figured it was a cheap gamble to stick in a new one. That was the square yellow one in the photo below.

Anyway, that didn't work. However, I now find that if I leave it unplugged for a long time, then when I plug it back in and press the power button the display lights up correctly for a second, before turning off again, at which point the unit is once again well and truly dead.

Am hoping that someone with considerably more knowledge and experience than me can suggest what could be causing this. I'm assuming it must still be the power board, since for the brief moment it powers up the display looks correct. But what could let it power up correctly and then immediately die?

Thanks for reading this far - all suggestions gratefully received! Picture below...

2021-09-04-11-39-34.jpg

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Your symptoms are indicative of a short or faulty component with the unit trying to start but shutting down due to overload condition.
Difficult for the amateur to diagnose.
It can be faulty capacitors but....more likely the electrolytics rather than the mylar.