Maker Pro
Maker Pro

soundcard has a virus

anwaypasible

Jun 3, 2013
some years ago, my soundcard started to distort whenever the bass played.
i turned down the main volume and it worked without distortion for a while.. but after a year or so the distortion got worse.

i looked up some idea of electrical problem online and they said the power filter capacitor is known to fail.
so i had a bigger capacitor and put it in.
it helped the distortion some, so i left it in.

well here is what i've learned..

if the software volume is up 100% it will distort
(software volume from an online music player or audio software player volume)

if i turn the software volume down and turn up the volume on the soundcard, it doesn't distort.. i can turn the volume up to 0.0 on the mixer or up to 12.0 on the mixer and it still doesnt distort.

i used rightmark audio analyzer with a loopback connection and turned the soundcard volume up all the way and the distortion numbers match the specifications.

apparently there's two different volume tables..
one for the software (that distorts when it is turned up all the way)
one for the amplification of whatever audio data is there. (soundcard mixer)

i'm wondering what electronics people could say about it.
(i was using foobar and SIR impulse response convolver inside of foobar when it happened)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Your sound card does not have a virus.

If the amplifier starts operating in a region where the signal level is too high it will start to introduce distortion.

This can happen with too high a level of gain, OR where the input level is too high.

anwaypasible

Jun 3, 2013
how can a fully digital signal make an analog amplifier distort when the two arent of the same pool?

i still think the digital analog converter is mis-matched with the software volume, or the dac is distorting because of somethng, either it is missing, too much of something, or utterly wrong values.

**edit**

some thanks, did you scope my computer using my IP address?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It would probably assist me if you used words in a way that I could understand.