Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Space Heater Mod Project

Woznet

Feb 1, 2016
First time on Electronics Point and my first time attempting a mod like this, I am hoping I might be able to get some guidance to finish this mod successfully and safely.

Space Heater: Comfort Zone CZ448 (I could not find a homepage for Comfort Zone)
http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-CZ448/dp/B007X5J7X6

Electrical Specs for Space Heater: 120 Volt AC, 60 Hz, 12.5 Amp, 750/1500 Watts, 5120 BTUs

Goal: Adjustable fan speed

I think what I need to do is add a potentiometer (I think that is the right term, I want something to control the fan speed) to allow me to adjust the fan speed of the space heater. The Space heater has 3 settings on the dial Fan, Low, and High (low and high determine if the fan turns off when the temperature reaches a certain point based on the thermostat dial)

I am unsure of which specific potentiometer I should get or if there is a different part that I need. I also am unsure of where to insert the potentiometer in the electrical circuit.

Any links to tutorials for electronic hobbyists or for something like this project would be great.

Photos of the space heater - https://picasaweb.google.com/116295...authkey=Gv1sRgCK2khoLvjv7soAE&feat=directlink

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I think what I need to do is add a potentiometer (I think that is the right term, I want something to control the fan speed) to allow me to adjust the fan speed of the space heater.

definitely not, if the fan is a 120V one, and it most likely is

This mod you are planning has the potential for being very dangerous and could easily cause a fire
currently it will be wired so that the heater can never be turned on unless the fan is initially on
so any mod done would have to ensure that this safety condition doesn't change

doing a fan speed mod is not a 5 minute job and you would need to also ensure that the minimum fan stpetter 21eed is at least as fast as the current fan speed is
you don't want the heating element to be able to be used in the high power position and the fan speed too low ... else again, overheating and fire will result

Honestly
what you are planning is a really unsafe thing to do

Dave

Woznet

Feb 1, 2016
I did not think about the heating element possibly over-heating. I guess I should start looking for a space heater that comes with a built in fan speed controller. Thank you for pointing out that safety issue.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Wow, it is good to see someone actually listen when we tell them a project is dangerous. Most just get arrogant and insulting.

Bob