Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Spare Components

NoClueWotToDo

Jun 30, 2018
Hi All,
My partner and I are clearing her father's house. He was a former electronics engineer and we find ourselves confronted with a mountain of components of all kinds.
I would hate to see them all go to landfill, it feels disrespectful to contemplate that. So, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a possible home for them, or if anybody could make use of them?
We're based in the North East of England. I'd really appreciate any thoughts you may have.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
That's a very generous offer you're making.

There are (or should be) some amateur radio, electronics or even 'maker' groups in the Tyneside area (or Teesside - you don't specify your location accurately) that would be only too pleased to move them towards club users. I used to live in that area but have long since moved north but such groups never tend to disappear, only fade a little!

It may also help if you could identify the types of components - if your departed father-in-law was 'old school' then many of the parts would only be useful to those familiar with them such as valves and older components. It seems unlikely that it would include 'modern' parts that many younger users would find appropriate. That said, there is still a large vintage radio fraternity (I'm one of such) that would appreciate and utilise the parts to their full worth.

If you are seeking recompense for the items too then I'd caution you to take more advice on the contents as some older parts, equipment etc can still command considerable sums on the second hand markets.

If you could list the items and/or post a detailed picture of them as a 'collection of parts' then we could potentially identify those items worthy of selling rather than simply giving away. Even if you don't need/want the money yourselves it may be considerate to donate the proceeds to a local hospice or charity perhaps?

Good luck with your disposal and commiserations on your loss.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Good advice @kellys_eye

And let me reiterate that there would certainly be people here who would be happy to look at any photographs you post to give you a more detailed idea of what you have.