Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Speaker activated switch/relay

Cfrisella

Nov 11, 2016
Hi All,
New to the forums and with very little electronic experience, I have a project in need of help. Not even sure if it's possible using simple components. This is what I'm trying to accomplish, pertaining to radio communications going into a helmet. I've wired both a handheld radio and a Bluetooth device (music) into shared ear speakers. At the moment it works fine, but incoming communications come over music playing. I'm trying to figure out a way to make the music momentarily cut out when this happens. I'm good with soldering but I have no clue what components I need. Some type of switch or relay that reads the signal going to the speaker? Any help would be appreciated. Maybe the task is too complex and just not worth the effort? Thanks!

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Welcome to EP.
It is doable, and not very complicated.
It is called VOX for Voice Opertaed eXchange .
There are commercial products available like this cheap kit.

Is this for a motorcycle helmet?

Last edited:

Cfrisella

Nov 11, 2016
Welcome to EP.
It is doable, and not very complicated.
It is called VOX for Voice Opertaed eXchange .
There are commercial products available like this cheap kit.

Is this for a motorcycle helmet?

No, it's for a flight helmet, but I'm trying to adapt a Sena Bluetooth device for music. Just want the music to cutout momentarily when airtraffic transitions come through.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
O.K
That means very high reliability is required.
The principle is the same.
How did you connect/wire the devices to the helmet?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
The linked item in post #2 looks to be a circuit which turns on a LED in response to sound picked up by a mike. Not quite what you want.
What power supply do you have available to power your gizmo?