Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Speaker Amp Module Repair

Bc_MakerPro

Nov 16, 2023
Hello everyone,

I’m new here. I recently was given a TurboSound ix15 from a friend who was going to toss it out. It doesn’t power on. I’ve taken it on as a project to fix it. I figured I’d start with replacing the power related components. Only problem is, I don’t know what’s what. Can anyone help me identify all the power related components on this board? I see several capacitors. Two of the capacitors that are the biggest, I can’t seem to find online anywhere (Jamicon 200v 330uF). I think the transformer is the plastic rapped part in the center. I also think there are a couple of inductors on the end where the power cable is connected to the board. I don’t know what these yellow things are between the assumed inductors. Any ideas?I see some voltage regulators along the sides also. Am I missing anything? My next question would be where do I find equivalent parts once they’re identified.

Attachments

• IMG_4579.jpeg
    IMG_4579.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
No easy task for someone with the questions you’ve asked.
The yellow ‘things’ are X2 safety capacitors.
With no power, you need to verify where the voltage goes and then stops!.
I’d start with the mains cable. Then the mains input components. ie the on board fuse and the bridge rectifier.
Your photo is too dark to see anything. Try again also with the solder side clear too.

Martin

Bc_MakerPro

Nov 16, 2023
No easy task for someone with the questions you’ve asked.
The yellow ‘things’ are X2 safety capacitors.
With no power, you need to verify where the voltage goes and then stops!.
I’d start with the mains cable. Then the mains input components. ie the on board fuse and the bridge rectifier.
Your photo is too dark to see anything. Try again also with the solder side clear too.

Martin
Thank you Martin! I will take better pictures when I get home and report back. So far, I’ve not been able to locate a bridge rectifier. I’ll take multiple shots of the board maybe you can help identify that also. Thanks again for you assistance!!!

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The bridge rectifier on your first photo is top left. Black component with 4 legs.
Looks like this:

1700158637118.jpeg

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The 'bottom' capacitor of this cluster looks to be defective and the probable cause of any issues with it. Potentially..... it's the ONLY thing wrong with it. But it might be wise to change all three.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-11-16 19-30-11.png
    Screenshot from 2023-11-16 19-30-11.png
    50 KB · Views: 4

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The 'bottom' capacitor of this cluster looks to be defective and the probable cause of any issues with it. Potentially..... it's the ONLY thing wrong with it. But it might be wise to change all three.
Agreed.
I was awaiting a clear photo to have a better look.

Martin

Bc_MakerPro

Nov 16, 2023
Thank you Kelly! I’ll be home in a couple hours. I’ll be sure to take better photos!! I sincerely appreciate all the help and support!!!

Bc_MakerPro

Nov 16, 2023
I have better pictures now please let me know if you need more.

Attachments

• IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4595.jpeg
    IMG_4595.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4596.jpeg
    IMG_4596.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4599.jpeg
    IMG_4599.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4598.jpeg
    IMG_4598.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4597.jpeg
    IMG_4597.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4602.jpeg
    IMG_4602.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_4601.jpeg
    361.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4600.jpeg
    IMG_4600.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4603.jpeg
    IMG_4603.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4604.jpeg
    IMG_4604.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4605.jpeg
    IMG_4605.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4609.jpeg
    IMG_4609.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4607.jpeg
    IMG_4607.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4606.jpeg
    IMG_4606.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4611.jpeg
    IMG_4611.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4610.jpeg
    IMG_4610.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 6

Bc_MakerPro

Nov 16, 2023
Thank you Martin! I will take better pictures when I get home and report back. So far, I’ve not been able to locate a bridge rectifier. I’ll take multiple shots of the board maybe you can help identify that also. Thanks again for you assistance!!!
Martin, I was just trying to check where the power goes then stops. I used a multimeter set to 20K and touched the solder points where the outlet wires connect to the board. It gradually jumps to 12, 19, then OL. It takes a minute before it shows anything other than OL. I have to remove it from the ends for a bit. I don’t see any fuse on here. When I check the bridge rectifier I’m only getting OL. Everything is still in the board so maybe a more thorough check is to take it out. I plan to do that tomorrow morning.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Everything looks tip top!
Those capacitors are not cheap.
Before you start probing anything discharge those capacitors please. Do you know how to do this?

Further inspection needed.
I'm thinking it's a game of light and shadows.
photo_1700195038203.pngphoto_1700195331495.png

Did you take the heat sink off IC7?
Below photo.

Screenshot_20231116_202553.jpg
You Shouldn't be taking any measurements at all. There is a process to troubleshooting
You will not be able to tell anything if you don't know what you're doing. The readings on the meter will mean nothing to you. it will only cause confusion.
If you do not pause for a moment... you will be receiving the Darwin Award.

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Is this how you received the unit? or did you dismantle it yourself?

Either way there are a substantial number of components that rely on heat sinking and some (many/all) might require insulating washers between themselves and the heat sinks they mount to. Failure to do so will result is a spectacular bang! So I hope you took note of which devices used such insulators/washers and where to put them back else you're on a hiding to nothing.

The board is clearly more than just a power supply. It also contains the output amplifier and other circuitry yet-to-be-determined.

Unfortunately your non familiarity with even basic test equipment procedures means that talking you through a repair is going to be far more complicated and fraught with error-making than is reasonable. I have a workshop full of test equipment and 40+ years of experience and would take careful consideration and some considerable time working through a board like that. Maybe from a starting point of it being in-position and going 'from scratch' would have helped (a little) but to be brutally honest I don't think we'll get too far trying to assist through the forum responses.

Last edited:

Bc_MakerPro

Nov 16, 2023
Everything looks tip top!
Those capacitors are not cheap.
Before you start probing anything discharge those capacitors please. Do you know how to do this?

Further inspection needed.
I'm thinking it's a game of light and shadows.
View attachment 61622View attachment 61623

Did you take the heat sink off IC7?
Below photo.

View attachment 61624
You Shouldn't be taking any measurements at all. There is a process to troubleshooting
You will not be able to tell anything if you don't know what you're doing. The readings on the meter will mean nothing to you. it will only cause confusion.
If you do not pause for a moment... you will be receiving the Darwin Award.
Thanks Delta! I’m get more photos shortly. I did discharge the capacitors using a screwdriver as shown in some videos and post I looked up prior to attempting the task.

Bc_MakerPro

Nov 16, 2023
Is this how you received the unit? or did you dismantle it yourself?

Either way there are a substantial number of components that rely on heat sinking and some (many/all) might require insulating washers between themselves and the heat sinks they mount to. Failure to do so will result is a spectacular bang! So I hope you took note of which devices used such insulators/washers and where to put them back else you're on a hiding to nothing.

The board is clearly more than just a power supply. It also contains the output amplifier and other circuitry yet-to-be-determined.

Unfortunately your non familiarity with even basic test equipment procedures means that talking you through a repair is going to be far more complicated and fraught with error-making than is reasonable. I have a workshop full of test equipment and 40+ years of experience and would take careful consideration and some considerable time working through a board like that. Maybe from a starting point of it being in-position and going 'from scratch' would have helped (a little) but to be brutally honest I don't think we'll get too far trying to assist through the forum responses.
Thank you Kelly. I received the speaker as a whole. I took it apart myself and noted everything. I’m not completely unfamiliar with electronics. I’ve worked on computers/servers for the past 17 years. When it just got down to motherboard issues, I would just replaced the board. I was making this a project since it cost me nothing to attain and I have no agenda for it. Is there somewhere else you think I should start? Maybe some piece of electronic equipment that isn’t as complicated as this? To my understanding it is an app module. It takes care of both power and the components that control the audio and graphics of the speaker. I apologize if I got myself in too deep. I’m just trying to learn.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I apologize if I got myself in too deep. I’m just trying to learn.
Heck, no need to apologise..... I admire your enthusiasm and desire to 'have a go' and that's a positive we don't see enough of these days. It's not as if 'we' aren't prepared to help in any way we can but past experience tells me that this could be a long drawn out process and whilst that isn't a bad thing it can, sometimes, lead to frustration and disappointment - on all sides.

If you have something else you would prefer to tackle as a 'warm up' then feel free to bring it to the table. Meantime you could do worse than learn how to use your multimeter to do basic tests (volts amps, ohms etc) and how it can be used to test 'some' components (diode/transistor check, capacitor test etc).

As for 'this' item, I only hope you recall how it all came apart!

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Thanks Delta! I’m get more photos shortly. I did discharge the capacitors using a screwdriver as shown in some videos and post I looked up prior to attempting the task.
Don't need any photos your comments paint a perfect picture.
I’ve worked on computers/servers for the past 17 years.
Lie to your girlfriend not us.
I apologize if I got myself in too deep. I’m just trying to learn.
Your safety is Paramount!
But I fear you will do as you please.
You're not looking for advice your mind is already made up.
If you must continue please have someone by your side.
Cuz you will not be able to call 911.
Speeches text stupid phone.