Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Speaker Power Supply Malfunction

starseed

Dec 25, 2021
Hello!

Before I get started I ask you be patient; I’m relatively new to electronics repair. I’m very ambitious but understand my knowledge at this point is not extensive. I’m here to learn.

I have a large Bluetooth speaker that recently began flicking on and off rapidly. It turns on, but again continuously resets itself. From the speaker itself there is no way to tell that’s what’s going on; The pulse is so fast the backlit LCD on the front does not turn off (the unit has some large capacitors that keep the unit active for up to three seconds after direct disconnection from the outlet). I can only tell what’s going on because my phone, when plugged into the speaker via USB, switches between charging and discharging rapidly. It seems to occur multiple times a second.

This seems to be an issue with the power supply. Of course anything I try searching for on Google comes back with PC power supply information basically telling people to just replace their power supply. I have no option other than onboard repair in this case.

If anyone has any prior knowledge of something like this occurring, or even what to look for, please let me know. As of right now I don’t see any clear indication of damage on the PCB or any of its components. All solder points appear unbroken and intact. Thank you for any information you can give me!